24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Can't Get APPS Voltage To Change...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Can't Get APPS Voltage To Change...

Recently replaced my apps sensor and couldnt get the volts to change, they are stuck on
.62. So i just turned it back a half turn and called it good. Within a couple weeks the sensor showed signs of failing. Been milking it by resetting and finally decided to research more before I purchase a noise filter. So far I ziptied the one wire to the guard above the alternator.(Please forgive any misuse of words or terms, I'm learning as I go here.) Can't say whether it worked or not because I had the batteries disconnected for something else at the same time. Truck ran good after that with the exception of the fuel mileage. Last night I decided to play with the volts again since I am taking a roadtrip today. Same thing, read .62. This time I not only played with the throttle screw but the sensor as well. Only change I could get was it dipping down to .020 and as soon as I would turn it a hair it would go back to .62. Check engine light came on when I started it last night. It threw the apps code. Am I missing something? Finishing packing, I will check back shortly. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:33 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Where did the APPS come from? Timbo or parts store? Could be a faulty APPS right out of the box.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the second apps for this truck this year and both have come from the same place. The first one was quickly replaced with the second one. When I was presented with the same scenario a second time around I was told it would be wise to purchase a noise filter. I am going to order one soon if neccesary, just trying to figure out why I can't get the volts to change. So far the truck has been good after I ziptied the wire up from the alternator and I have put over a 1000k miles on since then. I am almost wondering if there is a short somewhere that is causing the situation. Tested the batteries and the alternator and everything looks ok there. So maybe the wire dangling too close to the alternator was the problem? I am thinking maybe I need to start going through and cleaning up all the grounds anyway. Would some diode grease help the connections? And would a noise filter help if I can't even get as far as adjusting the voltage on the apps in the first place?