24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

truck wont start

Old 03-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck wont start

hi ive been havin some problems with my 01 24v cummins. first off when i got the truck i had swap motors becausenit was blown cause of overheating. i got a replacement motor. ever since ive had it runnin its always threw a code of havin a bad cam sensor. it would choke when it would start and then run alright, felt like it had a dead pedal, but i put an edge comp on it then it ran perfectly fine. after i got the truck back from paint it ran fine gettin it off the trailer and then i parked it in the barn. i went back a couple days later after i had assembled most of it and went to move it out. it started fine but only ran for around 5 seconds then died, it did that a few times and now it wont do nothin. i checked the fuel relay it works fine, lift pump is workin good. gettin plenty of fuel to the pump but when i crank it and have #1 injector line craked no fuel squirts out. i figured it might be the pump so i have a good one loaned to me right now and it still doesnt start. the pump has the right degreed key in it and it has more than quarter tank of fuel. im stumped on what is wrong with it. if anyone could elp me out id really appreciate it. thanks

Old 03-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

You bought a motor because it was overheating? Was it even diagnosed or did you just decide to throw a new one in? If so let's just go ahead and suggest taking it to a knowledgeable tech .

Will the pump run in standalone? What's lift pump pressure and volume?
Any codes present now? Was the cam sensor code diagnosed appropriately and a cause found for the out of range?
Any fuel leaks? Fuel quality checked?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Old 03-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Diesel Fan

i bought the truck with the blown motor, it was caused by overheating. not sure what the pressure from the lift pump is and there is no fuel leaks. fuel is a little more clear than normal, but that wouldnt create the pump to still not push fuel. i drained the fuel filter and filled it with diesel that i know is good and it still wouldnt start.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Pressure, volume and standalone are the next items to check.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Diesel Fan

how would u check both of those, and what do u mean by standalone ?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Put a gauge on it and make sure you have 5psi(minimum starting pressure) 10 psi minimum running pressure, make sure you have 400mL in ten seconds open flow. View my other post for the instructions on running the pump in standalone. If it runs in standalone you know its truck electronics or ecm. If it dosent start you know its fuel or pump related

Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it just sit and crank? In my opinion best bet is to get a OBD scanner and check your codes. This happened to me and it ended up being the VP44. Also, a quick check would be crack three fuel lines right off the injection pump and see how much fuel is coming out. Another thing is if your going to replace the pump might as well replace the CAM sensor to considering you are having problems and it is right behind the pump.

Here is a list of codes that usually mean trouble and a bad pump:
P0216 (often referred to as the code of death and most common code for VP44 pump failure)
P1688
P1689
P0215
P0251 - P0260

Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Diesel Fan

your truck will also not start untill it recongnizes the proper oil pressure so if it never recongnizes proper oil pressure it will not allow it to "fire" also from a personal experience of a cummins motor swap i accidentally smashed the wire for the crank position sensor between the motor and firewall during install so the truck ran for two days and problems were occuring becuase of the bad connection so you may want to follow the wires and make sure the connections are ok, check that oil pressure, if you bump your key every 15 seconds that transfer pump should stay allive if not somethings telling it to shut off...

Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

your truck will also not start untill it recongnizes the proper oil pressure
I have a very hard time believing this. My truck does crank for 5-10 seconds to build oil pressure, then start. It starts with .5 - 1 second of cranking, not near enough time to build oil pressure.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Diesel Fan

not full oil pressure but proper pressure TO start as in if it doesnt recongnize Any pressure it will not start, Yes this does take place ive been told this by countless cummins techs, my truck only cranks like twice and fires up right away

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: truck wont start