24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

popping sound when breaking and acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping sound when breaking and acceleration

i have a popping sound and i can feel it under the floor board and passenger can to just happens when coming to complete stop and accelerating out of the complete stop have made sure everything on the front end is tight drive shafts aren't lose so i dont think its u-joints been under the truck all day and can Not find whats doing it at first thought it was the parking break catching since that is right under the drivers seat but im sure i have that fully released if anyone knows anything about this from experience would greatly appreciate some thoughts/suggestions. its driving me crazy

Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you check your front suspension by trying to move it with a crow bar or other large leverage arm? My ball joint is beat pretty bad... Bad enough my tires are chopping however it takes a crow bar to move the ball in socket to see. My buddies truck had similar sound, bushings on front arms bad, couldnt tell till you leaned on it with a bar.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

mine was popping and could feel it in the floor boards and it turned out the spring in the rear drum broke. might be worth a check

Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 PM

hadn't tried that but i definitely will tomorrow after work thanks

Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine was popping randomly and turned out the mount for the track bar at the axle was slightly loose and causing a pop to happen