Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   My 01 HO Dually (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/92509-my-01-ho-dually.html)

boing 03-06-2012 11:08 PM

My 01 HO Dually

6 Attachment(s)
Its a tow bitch that has worked hard for the last 7 years, however I would like to modify it now...
Just installed a AD165 and a BDP sump, have been working on installing an intake and RV275 injectors, but I have been fighting a leak at the #1 and #4 high pressure lines...

After taking it back apart I have been able to get #4 to stop leaking however #1 is still a problem.

After doing some research found out that its common for the O-rings to be problematic once they get old so pulled it all back apart last night while I wait for the new O-rings to come in...

Also adding a new valve cover gasket because the old one was a gusher, has taken longer to cleanup than to do the actual work...

#1 weeping
Attachment 38777

After getting it all back together the first time...
Attachment 38778

Later style transfer tubes...
Attachment 38779

1,2,4 HP lines after cleanup
Attachment 38780

3,5,6 HP lines after cleanup
Attachment 38781

How it sits as of last night awaiting new O-rings
Attachment 38782

If you see anything wrong let me know, although I have owned this truck for a long time it has just been used for work...

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Now I am miffed, put all new O-rings on the transfer tubes (with grease) and 1-4 are now weeping and I cant get them to stop. I torqued all the fittings to 28 ftlbs, when they started leaking I loosened them up reseated the line and still it leaks. Any ideas on what to look at next?????

I dont know what to think...

Diesel Dawgs Performance 03-06-2012 11:15 PM

Bad lines maybe

Luke

Mr.A's Dodge Diesel 03-07-2012 12:24 AM

If there are rubber o-rings you can take them out and boil them in a pot of water not very long, just till they get bubbles on the o-rings, regrease them and put them back in. i have had great luck with this trick but havent used them on injector lines. its worth a shot.

boing 03-07-2012 10:03 AM

I am going to take every thing apart again tonight and clean it, then I'll try to slightly over torque the fittings. I used a torque wrench to set them all originally so I'll torque them again then give it a little more...

Weird thing is that I have had this thing apart twice and 5,6 have had no leaks (using my torque wrench)... Conversely 1 & 4 have leaked both times, now I can add 2 & 3 to the problem...

This is very frustrating, but I am getting good at removing and installing the lines...

mysterync 03-07-2012 10:51 AM

It can be a pain but as I told ya, rarely will you see a line that wont seal back with some work. Call me back if you need help.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

boing 03-07-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mysterync (Post 868298)
It can be a pain but as I told ya, rarely will you see a line that wont seal back with some work. Call me back if you need help.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thanks for talking with me, I have been looking at the pictures I posted above and it looks like there might actually be a line/ridge on the feral. I cleaned the tips with a scotch brite and the injector side of the tips had a bunch of corrosion that was removed.

In the above pictures it appears that there may be a line/ridge just a little bit down from the tip...

Is the fitting supposed to be a smooth taper from the tip to the shoulder? I'll go pickup some emery cloth also....

mysterync 03-07-2012 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by boing (Post 868320)
Thanks for talking with me, I have been looking at the pictures I posted above and it looks like there might actually be a line/ridge on the feral. I cleaned the tips with a scotch brite and the injector side of the tips had a bunch of corrosion that was removed.

In the above pictures it appears that there may be a line/ridge just a little bit down from the tip...

Is the fitting supposed to be a smooth taper from the tip to the shoulder? I'll go pickup some emery cloth also....

In the perfect world there would be no ridge but in the real world you'll often seen one lol
The reality is, at some point a tech that didnt care to pay attention to torque specs grabbed a 19MM and went at your injection lines.
The lines are softer than the connector tube so when over torqued a couple things can happen, one being the ridge your seeing or two being a fracture between the line and feral or taper.
Heck , For the most part 1 in 4 trucks will have a ridge. There is no best method for dealing with it and each line may require a different solution.
The most common solution we've found in our shop is to lightly clean the line tip with a very fine abrasive and increase torque gradually until seal is achieved. In no way do I condone the of tightening of any fastener but in some cases it's over tighten or replace the lines.
No fear, The lines will still be serviceable after over tightening but you'll want to take into account that you've previously over tightened them.

I wouldn't exceed 40 Ft-lbs on the lines, 40 seems to be the point of no return. Above 40Ftlbs you can actually cause damage to the injectors or further damage to the lines. However I've seen hundreds of these trucks that I needed a bar on my wrench to get them loose, and it resulted in line damage - but no injector damage.
If it continues I would consider new lines. I will mention however than its extremely rare to need replacement lines because of this issue, In most cases it can be resolved.

DieselWeasel 03-07-2012 08:26 PM

Dang... I WAY over tightened mine then!! I used German torque spec on them GoodenTyte... After this thread im surprised they dont leak badly!

You said you installed an Airdog 165? Is that a pump AND filter? IF so, i saw your stock filter can in there.... Did you bypass it when you installed the lift pump?

Do you have a tuner on there?

boing 03-07-2012 09:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mysterync (Post 868333)
In the perfect world there would be no ridge but in the real world you'll often seen one lol
The reality is, at some point a tech that didnt care to pay attention to torque specs grabbed a 19MM and went at your injection lines.
The lines are softer than the connector tube so when over torqued a couple things can happen, one being the ridge your seeing or two being a fracture between the line and feral or taper.
Heck , For the most part 1 in 4 trucks will have a ridge. There is no best method for dealing with it and each line may require a different solution.
The most common solution we've found in our shop is to lightly clean the line tip with a very fine abrasive and increase torque gradually until seal is achieved. In no way do I condone the of tightening of any fastener but in some cases it's over tighten or replace the lines.
No fear, The lines will still be serviceable after over tightening but you'll want to take into account that you've previously over tightened them.

I wouldn't exceed 40 Ft-lbs on the lines, 40 seems to be the point of no return. Above 40Ftlbs you can actually cause damage to the injectors or further damage to the lines. However I've seen hundreds of these trucks that I needed a bar on my wrench to get them loose, and it resulted in line damage - but no injector damage.
If it continues I would consider new lines. I will mention however than its extremely rare to need replacement lines because of this issue, In most cases it can be resolved.

Alright took it back apart in less than an hour was looking at the lines and there is definitely a ridge on the injector side of the lines, and two of the lines are fractured 5 & 2. Kinda weird because 5 never leaked, and 2 only leaked after putting in the new o-rings. (go figure)

Ridges on all but #6 are big enough to feel with a finger nail, before I started sanding I took a look at the transfer tubes. Gently ran a dental pick across them and they have a definite indentation in them as well, but its not in a full circle. After looking at the transfer tubes my only conclusion is that it wore down on the bottom (gravity side?).

Not really sure how this happened as I have never taken this truck apart before however I didn't buy it new. Can lines wear from age along with the transfer tubes, or did somebody over tighten it along the way (now that I think about it I did loose an injection pump one week after I bought the truck 7+ years ago; freaked out and took it to a local shop as I knew nothing about diesels at the time)? I have been building gas engines since I was a teenager, however the diesel was very new to me at the time, originally bought this truck as a donor engine to replaced the 454 in my 76 K30 3+3. After driving this truck for a week I decided to keep this one and sold my restored K30...

Other thing that is weird is this truck never leaked fuel before I tried to install the new injectors. I'll chock it up to my luck.

After mulling it over for while and talking to a couple buddies I decided to call Sheid and get some fresh lines,transfer tubes, and o-rings. They will be here late next week... Guy on the phone told me to go with .083 lines so that is whats coming. He assured me that there would be no run issues...

On a side note when I pulled the transfer tubes they were very clean past the o-rings so it was needing those anyways....

Originally Posted by DieselWeasel (Post 868594)
Dang... I WAY over tightened mine then!! I used German torque spec on them GoodenTyte... After this thread im surprised they dont leak badly!

You said you installed an Airdog 165? Is that a pump AND filter? IF so, i saw your stock filter can in there.... Did you bypass it when you installed the lift pump?

Do you have a tuner on there?

Yes I bypassed the original stuff, but left it in place with the ends bagged since I figure it would get me home in a jam. Threw the injection pump fittings in a bag under the back seat would be easy to switch out on the side of the road if I had to...

Don't have a tuner on it yet, however one will be on probably in May'ish. I am not after ultimate power in this truck just want it to tow better in the mountains. It would be nice to have gauges out of it as well so whichever tuner I get will have those incorporated... Right now I just gear down were its balanced between transmission load and letting the motor not push as hard since I dont know what egt's are comming down the pipe. I work the truck hard however I dont rail it. With a 40' goose or a 3 car wedge I am plugging along in the slow lane I just dont push it...

Placed the sump right under the original pickup since its now the return...
Attachment 38749

Borked two 1.375 holes in the frame about 3"s apart then connected the dots. Spent some quality time on a die grinder smoothing the edges down. Then slid an industrial high pressure hydraulic line over the suction line to protect it from chaffing...
Attachment 38750

Then mounted the pump inside the frame to keep as much road gunk off of it as possible...
Attachment 38751

DieselWeasel 03-08-2012 07:59 AM

Nice setup! You did a nice job by keeping the line safe!

A tuner would be a nice touch, plus the nicer combos come with gauge feedback. The Quadzilla series even can use your Phone or Droid as a display!
The other thing I suggest seeing that your gonna add fuel and boost is to get a BIG exhaust to help keep the EGT down. Maybe a pulse manifold too. I ended up getting PAID to buy my pulse manifold... Got it here used then sold my mint stock one on ebay for more money then I paid for the ATS! Keep your eyes open in the for sale section.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk