24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Killer dowel pin

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Killer dowel pin

Is there an issue with the dowel pin in the 99 year cummins or did they fix that issue? Need I worry about it, fix it and keep going? Picking up a 1999 3500 with nv4500 this coming week after I come off otr and contract with a local copany hauling approx 12k lbs to job-sites within 200-300miles from home. Also not sure of up grades and how to spot them,(first diesel pick-up) test drove truck two weeks ago everything felt tight and strong, truck tried to put me in the back seat when I shifted into 3rd,4th&5th and hammered on it.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 AM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I thought the dowel pin was tied to 12v only.

How many miles on it?

If your going to do hauling on contract like that your going to want to make sure its reliable! So your going to want to add a few mods if they arent already on there. Fuel deliver system for one (AirDog for example). Your towing that kind of weight your NOT going to want to run with a tuner cranked up or you'll leave that stock NV4500 all over the street.
Mods are pretty easy to spot... Most tuners are tapped to the fuel pump wire and tied into the communication bus down by the steering box. Some have displays in the cab (Adrenaline's "Pulse" and Edge Attitude's "Juice"). There are a few that download into the trucks computer if that was the case you may have to ask the prior owner. Tuners are the way your going to make power on the 24v truck. They adjust fuel pulse time and timing.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Diesel Fan

It has 205k on it, I wasn't sure about the dowel pin have heard horror storries about it, my dad always says better to ask a stupid question than assume you know and look stupid. Anyway getting out of high preassure load unload and into take ur time(arriving on time) get home guarrentee daily. Tired of not being home, & like riding my bike. Won't be an everyday loaded thing, bills are low now and don't have to work myself to death so much anymore. Time to relax a bit. BTW don't know who owned the truck first, buying from a guy that sells peterbuilts, and knows squat bout a dodge. Buying for $6800 is that a deal truck looks well takn care of. Truck is outfitted for gooseneck-fifthwheel and has in bed external tank. I will primarilly stay in Mississippi running north/south loaded and 12k is bout tops I will consider moving or orriginally loaded at a dedicated manufacturer and catch what I can running home usually from them for them. Kind of fell into it by chance thru previous friend who drove for them, he's no longer able to drive with his current med. problems so he hooked me up basicaly and backing me with ALL his equipment minus truck for 5grand. Any help is greatfull. I will take all help I can get.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

If your getting that truck for that much and it happens to be CLEAN and rust free they you STOLE that truck. I had someone offer me 14k for my truck here in Ohio because its MINT...

Do you just want to tow with it or do you want to tow AND play around (high-medium power toy)

Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Diesel Fan

Mainly tow for work&vacation purposses. No longer working hard and being away from home, longer then needed, unless by choice. three more days over the road out-unload-return and done.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

First thing just go through her and make sure everything is tight, suspension parts, driveline parts and such. Since you didnt install the hitch make sure its done RIGHT and that all the metal it is connected to is SOLID. You dont want any rusted out or torn braces/frame.
From there get a fuel pressure gauge. You need to monitor your lift pump delivery. They are garbage... factory and replacement stock style ones too! If you have the dead presidents to spend get a fuel system! Thats #1. Better filtering AND fuel flow! If the stock unit starts to die it will starve your Injection Pump and it will die... Not a big deal if you got 2 grand to spend...

Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Killer Dowel pin is only a problem for 94-98 12 valve cummins

Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RollinCoal99
Killer Dowel pin is only a problem for 94-98 12 valve cummins
Not true. I personally know a fella who's Dad had it come out on his '02. He has even posted the repair bill on another forum. I just had my front cover off on my '01 and there is nothing I could see that would keep the pin in so mine is tabbed.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

We have replaced 2 99 cases due to kdp

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

I'd say tab the pin on any 2nd gen just to be sure.

Quick Reply: Killer dowel pin