24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

surgin down the fwy???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default surgin down the fwy???

72fj here,i am having a good prob with my own 2000 5.9 cant seem to pin point it just yet first here is what i have reman vp44 trans pump installed about 28k a go {all sensors rep
i carry a box full of em,you never know-genuine cummins parts im a oem freak so don't bag on me too much,on a 2.50 hr drive after about 1hr into trip my truck started to surge rpm stayed the same at 65-70 but my boost gauge and turbo started to surge no real power loss
my fuel psi gauge was right up there egt,s norm coolant temp norm no fault codes no air in fuel system no missing idles norm runs norm around town,fuel mileage staying the same i am starting to think its the vp44 governor may be the prob,the only mod i have done is a banks big head actuator witch works great and has been on for about 2 years any of you run across this problem? fuel tank vent prob? any info would be app/ thank you 72fj

Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its electrical noise coming off the alternator i know is sounds stupid at least i thought so at first but its a really easy fix before replacing a vp44.
Step No. 1 Disconnect both negative cables at the batteries first, then disconnect both positive cables.

Step No. 2 Locate the 1/4" ground wire on the passenger side battery. It is black with a white stripe. The ground wire has a connector mounted on the battery support box. Pry this connector loose from the battery box. Disconnect the at the plug. This will give extra length to relocate the wire away from the alternator.

Step No. 3 Redirect the covered ground wire above the alternator support bracket instead of underneath it. The goal is to move the ground wire away from the alternator to avoid electrical noise. Place wire ties to keep the ground wire in place.

Step No. 4 Reconnect the ground wire at the coupling.
Step No. 5 Turn the ignition key on for several minutes and turn it off.
Step No. 6 Connect the positive battery cables first and then the negative cables.
Step No. 7 Do not start the engine. Turn the ignition key to on. Reprogram the APPS by pressing the throttle pedal slowly to the floor and then releasing it slowly.
Step No. 8 Start the engine, drive, and test. The problem will always appear to be fixed the first day. A failure may not appear for several days. Report your results to my email above after one week of normal driving.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default surgin down the fwy!!!

could be i will give it a try this weekend,had a similar prob with my trans electrical noise made it go haywire,until all the people at this forum help me truoble shoot,dtt noise filter took care of that!!! took me about 2 months figure that one out.thanks i will give it a try and give you feed back 72fj.