24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Need Some Detective Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dennis, if you have a boost elbow, you should be seeing much higher boost pressure. I've got a VA and see 32+ under heavy acceleration. The elbow should be doing what Diesel Dummy explained with the vice grips. There is an allen screw on that elbow; make sure it is screwed in all the way. If it's not, doing this should bring up your boost numbers.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but that was a symptom I got before my VP failed. Power wasn't worth a damn and I had trouble pushing upward of 18 psi with my foot all the way in it ... hope this isn't the same for you!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:01 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by piperca
Dennis, if you have a boost elbow, you should be seeing much higher boost pressure. I've got a VA and see 32+ under heavy acceleration. The elbow should be doing what Diesel Dummy explained with the vice grips. There is an allen screw on that elbow; make sure it is screwed in all the way. If it's not, doing this should bring up your boost numbers.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but that was a symptom I got before my VP failed. Power wasn't worth a damn and I had trouble pushing upward of 18 psi with my foot all the way in it ... hope this isn't the same for you!

ANDREW, you have either had your nose in them books to long, or you have been breathing to much smoke from them wild fires out there. You and I both know there's nothin wrong with my VP. It's impossible, because I can't afford to fix something like that right now. If I can't afford to fix it, then it aint broke, that's the way it works. RIGHT. This is just one of those little things that if I keep drivin it will work itself out. That's gotta be the problem, since that's all I can afford for it to be. That's how you diagnose mechanical problems.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Sorry, double post

Old 04-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Stupid Andrew what the hell was I thinking I never took into consideration the money aspect ... GEEZ! There's no possible way that VP is bad

Old 04-24-2007, 11:06 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by piperca
Stupid Andrew what the hell was I thinking I never took into consideration the money aspect ... GEEZ! There's no possible way that VP is bad
No harm done Bud, I just forgot to mention it's gotta be a simple, cheap fix. I think if one more thing came up that cost as much as a VP, that would be the end. The wife would choke me for sure and then if I lived through it she would make me sell the truck. You have to understand, all the mods on this truck were explained to her as needed repairs. From her point of view this has been the biggest piece of crap money pit truck ever put on the road.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99 cummins
From her point of view this has been the biggest piece of crap money pit truck ever put on the road.
Thats funny right there! My wife feels the same way about my truck. My question is before you went on the trip did u notice the low boost #'s? Sounds like u just need to adjust the boost elbow to me, since you dont have a leak.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 PM
BOMBARDIER

Sorry this reply took so long, didn't see it had been replied to.

Pre-trip I was always concerned cause I thought the boost numbers were to high. They almost never went below 8psi cruising the highway. Never below 10 pulling any kind of trailer. The boost elbow doesn't have any way of adjusting it. Wish it did.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

So your elbow doesn't look like this?

The allen screw is the adjustment and the hole in the bottom is to bleed off the pressure.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 PM
BOMBARDIER

Nope, no screw in it. Just a brasselbow with a very small hole in it, that I am told by edge has an internal valve of some sort.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd spend the $10 and buy one off ebay and see if it fix's the prob.