24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Torque converter just stopped locking

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diesel Dawgs Performance
How does the fluid smell?

Luke
To be honest, I dont know. I dont have alot of experience with ATF. It didnt smell great, but it didnt smell awful either.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Mine would not lock one time when I was pulling the TT. I have a LU switch, it was on and was pulling a bit of a grade when I suddenly realized the convertor had unlocked and the trans temp was really climbing. I pulled over as soon as I could and let it cool down. After cooling down I tried again and it would lock and has ever since. Never did figure out why it wouldn't lock even with the switch but somehow it had to have lost the grounding for lockup.
hmmm... maybe there is hope.. a slim shadow of hope...

Originally Posted by globalwarmingcontributor
This happened to me too. It was my tq converter. Had it replaced, but since I had tranny off I had that rebuilt too, been 4 years and no issues. I have an aftermarket valve body I'm throwing on it when I get home from south Korea. I know u don't want to hear it but it sounds like a torque converter bud.
Well If the trans needs to be rebuilt I will be making payments on a very LARGE yard ornament. I will be leaving for Basic Jan 20. I could MAYBE swing a single disc converter, but not a worth wile rebuild.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea sorry to break it to ya but mines in the shop right now getting a new teansmission... mine was doin the same thing..they said all the sensors were fried in there and they replaced the torque converter.tension spring all sensors and throttle posiotion sensor etc. 3k$$ not a good day. the jack *** i baught it from changed the fluid so I couldnt tell.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveNine
To be honest, I dont know. I dont have alot of experience with ATF. It didnt smell great, but it didnt smell awful either.

hmmm... maybe there is hope.. a slim shadow of hope...

Well If the trans needs to be rebuilt I will be making payments on a very LARGE yard ornament. I will be leaving for Basic Jan 20. I could MAYBE swing a single disc converter, but not a worth wile rebuild.
Sorry bud... On another note, good luck in basic. I serve in the army, stationed in Korea. Thank you for volunteering to serve our country. What branch? Mos? I'm 15r, I maintain apache helicopters.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by globalwarmingcontributor
Sorry bud... On another note, good luck in basic. I serve in the army, stationed in Korea. Thank you for volunteering to serve our country. What branch? Mos? I'm 15r, I maintain apache helicopters.
Thanks, MOS is 12N, "12November". Ill be a horizontal construction engineer. I am NCANG.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveNine
Thanks, MOS is 12N, "12November". Ill be a horizontal construction engineer. I am NCANG.
Where are you going to Basic? My old unit is @ Benning (1/50th) and is an Infantry Basic training unit now. Was Mechanized Infantry when I was assigned. I was 91B20. Thanks for your voluntary service. Mine was not and the claw marks I left to the induction center are still apparent. In the end my military experience was a good thing, while for others I served with it was not and some died and others suffer to this day.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Diesel Fan

Where are you going to Basic? My old unit is @ Benning (1/50th) and is an Infantry Basic training unit now. Was Mechanized Infantry when I was assigned. I was 91B20. Thanks for your voluntary service. Mine was not and the claw marks I left to the induction center are still apparent. In the end my military experience was a good thing, while for others I served with it was not and some died and others suffer to this day.
Basic will be in SC and AIT is in MO. I believe military experiences are mostly what you make of them. I want to be there, and I plan to make the most of it. I am however not a very strong person. I think If i can make the 1st few weeks of basic, ill have it made.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Best of everything to you and thanks again.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol I did my basic in lenardwood and went to ft Jackson for my ait 63b. Thanks for serving soldier

Where in Korea are u stationed I got to spend 1yr 23 day at lovely camp casey 2nd id

Thanx to all who are serving and those how have served and those that are thinking of serving

Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off i want to THANK ALL of you serving our country.if it wasn't for you we wouldn't be able to enjoy these awsome trucks or be on sites like this sharing or knowledge.may our GOD richly bless and you and your families.sorry FIVE NINE about you tranny issues.i know it sucks,i'v had mine in &out 10 times.the one guy asked you about how the fluid smelled because if the trans got too hot or built up too much friction the fluid will have a burnt smell to it.the brown color you saw in it is the friction material wearing off the clutch backs.to see some is normal but if there appears to be alot that may be an indication the trans is going.you may need to drop the pan to really see how much friction mat. is in there.it's a messy job cause of all the fluid,ya need a big drain pan hope this helps.if i was in your area i'd gladly help ya.hope it works out for ya.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Diesel Fan

Best of everything to you and thanks again.
Thanks man.

Originally Posted by Heavyhaul07
Lol I did my basic in lenardwood and went to ft Jackson for my ait 63b. Thanks for serving soldier

Where in Korea are u stationed I got to spend 1yr 23 day at lovely camp casey 2nd id

Thanx to all who are serving and those how have served and those that are thinking of serving
Thanks man. Thanks for your service.

Originally Posted by bristoy
first off i want to THANK ALL of you serving our country.if it wasn't for you we wouldn't be able to enjoy these awsome trucks or be on sites like this sharing or knowledge.may our GOD richly bless and you and your families.sorry FIVE NINE about you tranny issues.i know it sucks,i'v had mine in &out 10 times.the one guy asked you about how the fluid smelled because if the trans got too hot or built up too much friction the fluid will have a burnt smell to it.the brown color you saw in it is the friction material wearing off the clutch backs.to see some is normal but if there appears to be alot that may be an indication the trans is going.you may need to drop the pan to really see how much friction mat. is in there.it's a messy job cause of all the fluid,ya need a big drain pan hope this helps.if i was in your area i'd gladly help ya.hope it works out for ya.
Thank you. I plan to leave any major work till after I get back. Ill buy a lift pump once I get back. We'll see how it turns out.