24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

is it my vp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default is it my vp?

I was cruising down the highway and I did a quick pull and when I let off the truck just died came to a stock and cranked the truck over and nothin would just crank and crank. its not showin any codes I havnt put the good code reader on it. I replaced the crank sensor and still nothing. I have fuel at the injectors and fuel pressure is about 10 when cranking the truck over. I'm stumped can anyone help me out

Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: is it my vp?

Whenever you got on it did u let off the pedal really quick? If so it can drain the fuel bowl in the injection pump and stalls the truck, mine does this if i do this and i keep a can of either with me to use in such a case, if u did do this just spray some either in the filter, stomp the pedal to the floor and turn the key it may take a few seconds for it to cone alive but it will

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Old 10-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

I am going to strongly disagree with spraying ether, or anything for that matter, into your filter or turbo. How much fuel do you have at the head if you crack a line? does it just sputter a bit? did you try bleeding differant lines? the one nice thing about running a good strong pusher pump is you can just bump the starter and re-prime the system without even having to crack lines. what was your fp doing?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: is it my vp?

Originally Posted by empty wallet
I am going to strongly disagree with spraying ether, or anything for that matter, into your filter or turbo. How much fuel do you have at the head if you crack a line? does it just sputter a bit? did you try bleeding differant lines? the one nice thing about running a good strong pusher pump is you can just bump the starter and re-prime the system without even having to crack lines. what was your fp doing?
Yes it may work cant say for sure because ive never tried it when i was stalled out along the road, ive always used either, did it twice, yes its hard on a motor but itll do the job in a tough situation! Empty wallet we seem to agree on alot of things

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya it sputters a bit when cranking fuel pressure is fine that's y I'm so stumped goin to put a good code reader on it tonite and try changing the fuel filter and see what that does

Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd be pricing vp44's