24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

big electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default big electrical issue

Okay so i was driving out at the lakes and was going over a badly washed out road and i lost my radio, mirrors, interior lights, underhood light and i'm sure some other electrically controlled functions......i've gone through fuses, all are good with power flowing through and with as much as i'm dead set thinking it's a ground.

problem....haynes does not give hardly enough info on these systems to track down what's going on and where it is.....i started looking at all the grounds i could notice and they look good.

i found the ground on top of the drivers side fender, between the bed and cab, on the block and that's all i can really see on quick glance at this point.

my drivers side battery cable is just a little loose and won't tighten up any more.

I imagine there is a common ground for all of these fuctions and i can't figure out using my haynes book let alone where the grounds are located on the truck.

does anyone have any clues?

thanks in advanced.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

If you lay under the drivers side and look around you'll find some oddly placed grounds, inner fender well, up near the bottom of washer fluid tank (VERY hard to reach) and etc, etc. I had the same issue with interior lights and underhood light, as well as OBD stopped working, I think it was cigg lighter fuse. As far as a common ground... you wish, pal. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Diesel Wrench

cig fuse is good. not one fuse is blown or not flowing power. that's why i'm looking at grounds. and everything quit at the exact same time making it seem like those functions need to have a common ground

Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Starter relay?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Diesel Wrench

truck still starts and runs fine. i just have lights not working and no radio...this happened 30 miles out of town and i drove home on the interstate without a single hitch

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

okay so update, none of my interior lighting works, including glove box and my cargo light is not working either

all of my cluster lights work and the bulbs on the dash associated with the dimmer switch, just not dome and cargo now either

Last edited by wyodiesel92; 09-14-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Re: big electrical issue

I'm on my phone and can't see what your truck is. Sounds some what like a body control module. I've got alldata, for a price I will hook ya up

Old 09-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Diesel Wrench

Body control module?

And I am thinking about just getting it myself to be honest. I just don't see what could have went wrong except for maybe a ground or something if it happened by vibration I'm assuming. Is there a fuse or relay that I'm missing that's for all of that stuff? I looked in Haynes and I saw it's on fuse 17 that's 15 amp but I looked and in the truck it's not a 15 and is not supposed to be by the diagram. I just don't know. I was adjusting my mirror over the bumps when this happened. Could that have something to do with it or be a clue? Had headlights on, blower on, radio on and was adjusting my mirror.

I'm just getting frustrated with it especially since I can't go out and work on finding an issue. There's power on both sides of the fuse for the radio, the first time the mirrors stopped working was when I popped the fuse using the heater function and it was for the blower motor, replaced and they worked and didn't affect anything else. This time the blower works but no mirror adjustability and etc that I have already said

Last edited by wyodiesel92; 09-14-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Diesel Wrench

Checked all fuses that have any touch on any of those functions ms all are good. A buddy said today he had this problem and he just wanted his radio working and found that there was no juice at his constant power and spiced in with a lead from the battery. He said after he did that everything magically worked. So I tried this with a power probe and sent power to the constant and got everything working. Now I have this temp fixed the way mentioned above but would like to actually fix it right. I haven't looked at any diagrams yet but I didn't know if maybe this would be a hint

Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just bought a chiltons today if u need any diagrams ill be more than happy to send them ur way

Old 09-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Diesel Wrench

Chiltons was no better than haynes when I looked

Quick Reply: big electrical issue