24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Dana 80 Trac-Lok Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Dana 80 Trac-Lok Rebuild Questions

So the trac-lok clutches are shot in my 99 Dodge Dana 80. I scored a "Ford D80 LS rebuild kit" off fleabay for $25. Cheapest I could find it elsewere was $225. I took a bit of a gamble 'cause I don't know if it will fit my truck or not... I'm GUESSING that as far as the trac-lok goes a D80 is a D80... whether it's a Ford or Dodge.

I've not rebuilt one of these before and was looking for some tips. My factory service manual shows the procedure to be pretty straightforward, but a buddy was telling me that there's some spring assembly that will require the assistance of an off-road shop to re-seat. Anybody have any knowledge of such?

Help is appreciated.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

I've never done one myself, but I have seen them done. It is a fairly straightforward deal. Member Getblown5.9 did his I'm pretty sure.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

some info

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/axle/286RBI_specs.html

most places list 2 differentials, one for a 3.73 and down and one for 4.10 and up.....other then that i am gonna have to go with they are the same internally, the only difference in those 2 are where the flange the ring gear mounts too is located....

Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If the clutches don't work, and they haven't been restacked already, you can restack the clutches already in there and have it back like new...

They stack several clutches and steels together to "soften" the LSD's effectiveness...if you stack them alternating like they should be, you get a lot more use out of them (plus it costs nothing more than some gear lube).

We did this to my dad's D80...it was doing the one-wheelie-peelie on snow (225k), and afterwards it would not slip (even with one on ice and the other on blacktop). He's got 280k on it now and its still working well.

I've read where guys restack them with new clutches, and it essentially locks the rear up...no slip.

steved

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Oh, and the rebuild is very easy...your mechanic is thinking of a true trac-loc, and the D80 "trac-loc" is more like a power-loc. The case is two pieces...simply unbolt the halves, replace the clutches, and bolt it back together.

The entire R&R can be done in an hour (from removal to reinstallation)...the toughest part is the rear swaybar.

steved

Last edited by steved; 01-04-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

if you stack enough of them in there it will be almost 100% locked.....

Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you "re-stack" the clutches? I am all for trying this if it costs no more than gear lube I got stuck at a landscape yard two days ago with an 18' trailer hooked up b/c of the one-wheel-peel. Talk about a pain.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Diesel Wrench

The clutches in a D80 aren't stacked correctly from factory...this is done because the D80 LSD is too aggressive for a light truck (it was intended for large medium duty trucks such as breadvans, etc.)...

They are typically something like clutch-steel-clutch-steel-steel-steel-clutch-clutch...they can be restacked to clutch-steel-clutch-steel-clutch-steel-clutch-steel.

You do have to see which LSD you have, there are two...a power-loc and a trac-loc, of which only the trac-loc is supported. They can be identified by the shape of the crosspin, one is round and the other has a "V" shaped end.

We did this with good success on my dad's truck...

steved

Old 01-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Powr-Lok is a 1 piece case

Trac-Lok is a 2 piece case.

Both can be rebuilt and done the way described above.

Dave

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Am in my d80 right now and need to replace the pinion bearings, I have the trac loc
and it sounds good to do this restack business. Do you leave some steels or friction plates out? Seems to me there are more of some plates than others.
Thanks Guys
jameswest

Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Diesel Wrench

If you buy the clutch kit, it should come with all the correct clutches/steels.

Simply install the same amount on either side in an alternating order. You use all of the new ones, don't leave any out or it won't work at all (no preload).

Remember to soak them in LSD modifier before installing.