24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

is it my IP or the APPS??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default is it my IP or the APPS??

Today the truck started gettin a little bit of dead pedal. then it kinda did a sputter and run to me twice, but hours apart. It would run great then just a second of dead pedal, then back to normal. When i start the truck and wait on the grid heater, the check engine light comes on for a little bit longer than the wait to start then goes away. it starts up easily and runs smooth. My Pulse v2 says my ecm voltage is between 13.7 and 14.2. Last time it did the cutting out dead pedal i thought it was because of water getting in a plug, i then reset the APPS just to see and haven't had problems until today, and it was bone dry outside. seemed to get a little more common as the day wore on. Do you guys think it is my Vp (please tell me no) or the APPS. I tried the key on/off on/off on, but nothing came up in the odometer...? what did i do wrong there? it just showed my trip right away. I have the batteries undone right now and am going to reset the apps. will post in a while to make sure that works. what do you guys think? I'm at a loss and this is my only vehicle

Last edited by kegs99; 04-15-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: i typed it confusing n fixed it
Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What is you Fuel pressure reading? Do you have a gauge? I would reset the pedal. Turm the key into the on position but dont start it and push the pedal to the floor slow and let it return slow. Turn off and start truck and see if that works. Check the simple stuff first and work from there. Need to check fuel pressure still as well. When you experience the "dead pedal" are you blowing any white/gray smoke?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:32 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Have you tried running the truck without the Quad hooked up?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

no smoke when it dead pedals. It smokes real healthy black like it always has when it running normal. i did the reset and it still cut out a little bit but not as bad, and only when i was ON it. i might outta redo it as i didn't turn the key back off then start it. where is the APPS located? and sadly i have no fp gauge. Guess what i'll be putting in the truck asap! My airdog runs steady though. It has the regular 15 psi setting. Never had a problem with dead pedal until about three weeks ago. reset the apps and it was fine till now. that makes me think its the apps. Last time i hooked my brothers scanner up to the port though i got the p0216. not all the time though. only certain times it would get it. really unsure what to think here. my budget it TIGHT so i wanna no what to replace before i do it if i can. thanks guys.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:37 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

APPS is under a black plastic cover, located at the front left side of the engine. Above the Injection Pump.

Some good info and pictures in this thread:
https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...-apps-adj.html

The following users liked this post:
kegs99 (04-17-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok so i went through and reset it to the volts spec. it said it needed .595 and the best i could get it to was .56. then i ran the truck to my girlfriends house, i did not have full pedal use. when i floored it the pulse said my tps was 82%. and i had to push nearly half pedal to get a response. no dead pedal until right as i pulled into the bottom of the drive, no pedal at all, but it ran, so i eased through the gears uphill in first and second and as it flattened out into third. then i touched the go juice and had response again, but just like before. i once again have my batteries detached so i can do the pedal reset in the morning. thinking i most likely need a new APPS? also my check engine light is on since i redid the voltage set, for about twenty miles of driving. now i'm fairly convinced it is not the IP it is the APPS. right? also how do you do the key on/off on/off on, read codes thing? i did just that and my odometer just told me that i have a bunch of miles on my truck like usual

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also thought i outta mention that when my truck idles, my RPM gauge bounces around just a little bit, its done that since i bought it.

Just ordered a Timbo APPS. Anyone have one of these? seems to be pretty good set up and easy to install.

Just ordered a Timbo APPS. Anyone have one of these? seems to be pretty good set up and easy to install.

Last edited by kegs99; 04-18-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

got my timbo apps tonight and had it installed in under thirty minutes. My idle screw as i come to find out has been messed with... its set high and its really tight. gotta get some wd 40 to unrust it and see if it'll budge. Truck runs great though! no more dead pedal. perfect response time. this fixed me right up. still have a check engine light though... get my brothers scanner tomorrow and pull the code to see. Hopefully i aint still gettin the p0216. that one makes no sense to me why i get it when it was the apps given me fits. now to figure out my overheating.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Im glad that fixed your problem Kegs. Try a new thermostat, Flush and fill.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

the key trick only works on 01 and up. and your problem sounds more like the IP. hopefully the apps fixed it, but i think ur problem will come back