24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Aux. Pump Setup Or OEM Bypass???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux. Pump Setup Or OEM Bypass???

I just got a BD Aux. pump kit from Bnold (great seller!) on this forum. I have been thinking about it and should I go with the 2-pump setup or use what I got as a "relocation" kit instead? I think my original LP is getting weak b/c my low pressure light keeps coming on when the truck spools up over 2000 rpm and more often when towing. I am going to try and get my hands on a gauge to see what the pressure is before messing with anything.

Is the only difference between the two BD kits an oil pressure sending unit, fuel line, and a 12mm to hose adapter or are the pumps different? The pump that just came with the kit is a Carter pump.

Oh, and the Diablo puck is the only performance mod I have/will be doing.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Diesel Fan

btt............anything??

Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

I would loose the Factory pump and utilize only the factory filter housing! IIRC the factor pump is not flow through, So if it died, you would loose FP!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:17 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

If your gonna run the factory pump make sure you run the pumps side by side and not through each other. If you run them independant it doesn't matter if one dies, if they run through each other and one dies it becomes a restriction. If you need pictures or details of how to do this let me know and I can send em out to ya.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
If your gonna run the factory pump make sure you run the pumps side by side and not through each other. If you run them independant it doesn't matter if one dies, if they run through each other and one dies it becomes a restriction. If you need pictures or details of how to do this let me know and I can send em out to ya.
Yes, show me what you are talking about. I thought about something like this but saw no one doing it. May be a temporary solution for me.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:32 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Aux. Pump Setup Or OEM Bypass???-dual-pump-bench.jpg

Bring the main feeder line in from the tank and split it off to lead to each pump individually. On the outlet side of each pump you have to have a directional check valve to keep fuel from feeding backwards in the event that one is not running. Anyplace after this you just run the lines back together and on to the filter.

In my set up I used AN/8 hose from the tank to the T where it split off and it was AN/6 from there on. This supplied enough fuel to the pumps to keep them full even if I had both running. I also had a switch that I could alternate which pump was runnning or both of them if I needed the extra fuel for heavy pulls. I also put a fuel pressure guage on the pumps so that I could tell if one was getting weak on me.

I ran this system for a few years and it worked well. The dual sysytem saved my *** last year coming across the Utah/Wyoming Mountains in a blizzard with a trailer behind me. My fuel pressure all the sudden dropped off to 0 and both pumps were dead. I limped into a truck stop to check things out, several degrees below 0 not including the windchill with whiteout conditions late at night. Turns out one of the pumps had locked up and it blew the fuse that ran both of them. Just flipped the switch to turn that pump off, replaced the fuse and drove the next 600 miles to home. Ran on the one pump for several months and when it came time to replace it here recently I decided to go with a belt driven pump instead. I like to try out new things. That's how this dual pump thing came about.