24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

abs light on

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question abs light on

i was drivin to work this morning and the abs light came on and the speedo wasnt working. gooing to get it checked for codes tomorrow. any ideas? speed sensor? wheel hub?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Diesel Fan

I hate to admit it but I disconected my battery and reconnected it and it went away and has never come back on and my speedo started to work

I am sure someone with more knowlege is going to make me feel like a dumb _ _ _.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

There is an ABS sensor on the rear differential that i believe tell the the vehicles speed. If that was broken, your ABS light would definitely be on and the speedo probably wouldnt work either.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

1AMatt you are correct, it controls the abs for the rear and works in conjuction with a sensor on the tranny for speed. if it goes out it can either stop the speedo from working or make it jump around wildly. two major causes of this are 1. the sensor has just went out and needs to be replaced and 2. the plug going to the sensor has corroded and is not getting a good connection. you can clean this plug with some electronics cleaner and plug it back in to see if that fixes it and check all the metal pin connectors in the plug to make sure none of them have a loose connection. disconnect the batteries while you do it to clear out the code. if that doesnt work just change the sensor they are not that expensive.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsdidrick
I hate to admit it but I disconected my battery and reconnected it and it went away and has never come back on and my speedo started to work

I am sure someone with more knowlege is going to make me feel like a dumb _ _ _.
na this just erases an intermitant code, you should be fine doing this if it was something of importance such as a bad connection or short or even an outta wack wheel speed sensor the light would come on again

Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

i have a abs and brake light on and have no problem with my speedo, havent really dug into it but im guessing a front wheel sensor

Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Diesel Fan

It can be tricky, there are 2 or 3 abs sensors that will trigger the abs light. If your speedo is not working in conjunction with the abs light it is the sensor on the top of the rear differential. It is cheap and takes about 20 mins to install. Don't be discouraged if at first the symptoms don't go away. I replaced mine and at first the abs light still came on. I brought it to my mechanic and he checked the codes and verified it was the rear, same one I replaced. He cleared the code but couldn't get the light to turn off. So when I picked it up he told me the light was still on. I got in my truck and the light was off and never came on yet. Replace the sensor, and be patient.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM

well the light went off this mornin and speedo was workin normal so maybe somethin is loose or on the sensor. but no problems so far

Old 03-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Chilly7
It can be tricky, there are 2 or 3 abs sensors that will trigger the abs light. If your speedo is not working in conjunction with the abs light it is the sensor on the top of the rear differential. It is cheap and takes about 20 mins to install. Don't be discouraged if at first the symptoms don't go away. I replaced mine and at first the abs light still came on. I brought it to my mechanic and he checked the codes and verified it was the rear, same one I replaced. He cleared the code but couldn't get the light to turn off. So when I picked it up he told me the light was still on. I got in my truck and the light was off and never came on yet. Replace the sensor, and be patient.
the abs will reset once the batt is disconected, erasing codes, once the truck is driven at a certain speed the light will go out

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by CumminsPower24valve
well the light went off this mornin and speedo was workin normal so maybe somethin is loose or on the sensor. but no problems so far
id check for intermintant codes it should direct you to a loose wire or something

Last edited by UNOH-KID; 03-15-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by CumminsPower24valve
As Banditsdiesel said before, you may have a bad connection on your plug. I would try spraying it down with some electrical parts cleaner and see how that works.

Quick Reply: abs light on