24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Spray in Bedliners other uses

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Spray in Bedliners other uses

So they lay down a load of salt in my area in the winter time which we all know it eats our truck alive. Well my truck was two tone. White with silver rockers. Rust was setting in on the bottoms of the doors. Which i think Dodge should of added another seal in there at the bottom of the door where the the tire sprays the water or what have you directly into the door jam gap. I know when I open my door when its wet the door jam up front is wet as well with road grime and all sorts of crap. So I went and got the silver portion of my truck rhino lined i was skeptical at first about the looks but Its growing on me. I also got the windows tinted which help accent all the black. So I still have rust on the bottom of the door. So I got some rust kills opened up the door panels poured it in there an let it do its thing. After that I used rust convertor. For those who havent used it its awesome turns rust to metal. Its sweet. I prepped the rust with a scotch bright pad attached to a die grinder. You want to leave some rust but need to get the nasty crap out of there. After I let two coats dry inside and outside of the door. I prepped the paint and masked off. Bought the Duplicolor rattle can spray in bedliner DIY kit and applied I have a Pic to show you. I took more but with my phone camera and they didnt really turn out but it looks good with the added protection of the polyura which keeps oxygen out of the rust. Rust is like fire when you remove one thing from mix the fire goes out. Just figure im not the only one that has this problem. Pretty easy took a good afternoon but worth it.Spray in Bedliners other uses-img00207-20110306-1233.jpg

Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

i was considering doing this with my truck too. NY uses a lot of salt

Old 03-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

This Summer I am going to take out all my seats and carpet on my 04 Jeep Wrangler and spray the floor.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I havent done it yet but always wanted to spray the whole rocker panels on my truck to cover and prevent more rock chips.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Its worth it cause doors are expensive but there even uglier with rust.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will be spraying my rockers soon to cover the rock chips...any suggestions on brands to use...what is gonna last the longest and bond the best

Old 03-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

If it was me i would have a shop do anything that shows on a daily basis. Problem with the DIY kits is the spray can doesnt contain the grit it depends on your spray pattern and can height from material. The problem with the roll on ones is that it get clups up and with the roller it leaves a brush wake like a boat in the water it shows the direction you rolled it. Now if you have a shop that offers the spray on bedliner go that route the machines lay the material down nice and even with no start/stop marks. I like rhino lining for a bed but it tends to get a flat black after the sun hits it and since rockers are allot visual than a bed. I shopped around and found a brand and dealer that had a glossier finish and so far im very happy with it. The brand was called Turbo Liner. I got mine done for $550. As far as the inside trim I went with the duplicolor DIY spray Aresol Can it turned out even. Took more time in prep work than applying. $8.99 a can at auto store. Plus a $5.00 roll of painters tape the blue tape awesome stuff. goes on nice will bend to shape and comes off surface without pulling your product off with it.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am getting my truck bed done with Rhino Liner this week, and was seriously consifering getting my rockers done at the same time. However, after i read this thread, somebody mentioned that Rhino Liner fades a bit. And yes, i would have to agree, it does after exposed to sunlight. I found a place close to me that does rockers with gloss paint for an extra charge. Its called LINE-X. i know a few people that have this in their truck beds. It isn't as thick as Rhino liner, but if I were to get my rockers done, i might have the LINE-X done to them instead of the Rhino Liner beacuse they can add the gloss paint to it to keep it from fading. i also want to do the inside of the doors like the guy up top did. That is well worth it.!!!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys... at the very bottom of my doors i'm developing rust...did u line any part of your actual door???? any suggestions... i would do the chrome deals but i think that would just make it worse thanks

Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Im the guy up top.

WHAT YOU NEED.
1. Rust Kills
2. Rust converter/inhibitor
3. Duplicolor Spray in bed liner in the Aresol Can
4. Paint brush
5. Shop Towels
6. Die Grinder with Scotch Bright Disk
7. Painters Tape

Take the inner door panels off the all doors. Pour the Rust kills inside the doors. Let the rust kills set in awhile. That way it gets inside between the outer door shell and inner shell at the seam. On all doors. Blow clean and dry with shop towel. Now Take scotch bright ready die grinder and clean up the heavy rust leave the minimal stuff you need to for rust convertor to work. Take the diegrinder and lightly prep the the paint your gonna cover to promote adhesion. Now take the rust convertor and brush it on with a good coat on the rusted areas. And brush it in on the inside of your doors at the bottom. Let first coat dry. Apply second coat. Let dry. Now tape off all areas you dont want to line with the duplicolor SIBL. Tape off the bottom door latchs for the rear doors. Let the SIBL dry do another coat.* DO SOME PRACTICE PASSES WITH SIBL ON SOMETHING OTHER THAN YOUR TRUCK FIRST!!!!* THAT WAY U CAN GET YOUR TEXTURE RIGHT. Check with a flash light if you have a light color truck. Touch up the areas.. Now un mask. Make sure you get painters tape its blue. It bends around shapes easy and pulls away without taking or pulling up any of the material you spray.

Good luck this is to easy and saves your truck.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I also had the rockers done by a shop on my rockers and follow the same lines on the inside of truck read up above.

Last edited by KillStroker; 03-07-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost