24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Upgrade intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrade intake?

Does it really make that much difference in performance changing to a Banks,AFE,CFM etc intake or is installing a intake heater delete do about as much.If it does ,what do you gain?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just spend $45 and get a 6637 BHAF from NAPA, I dont think you would bennifit anything from the grid heater delete.

The following users liked this post:
oldduallyfart (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Headcase98002
I would just spend $45 and get a 6637 BHAF from NAPA, I dont think you would bennifit anything from the grid heater delete.
im pretty sure he's talkin about the intake goin into the head if so then no you wont really notice much, imo its a great upgrade if your runnin injectables like water meth. nitrous etc.. plus it gives a good port for a mechanical boost gauge..other than that you wont really notice much

Old 03-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

i have to disagree with the above statement. you will notice some difference with it the more power upgrades you have the more you will notice it being there. you will pick up a few pounds of boost with it and it will run your iat lower as well. its also like D-lux said a great location for gauge port or injection sites. if you wanna example of the factory intake horn, its like having a restictor plate on the engine it really restricts the air flow. and the air heater delete adds about 5% more air flow. not quite as noticeable as the horn replacement. but on a higher hp engine well worth the money. if you want a intake horn go with an AFE or a CFM, stay away from banks they dont flow near as well as they claim they do.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

mileage usaully increase when you change intake system & when you remove heater you get about .5-2 more pounds of boost depends on what done to truck

Old 03-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

true on a MAJOR power producer you'll notice the difference. but on a lower horse power truck it makes no difference.. its been proven that the heater grid delete and the airhorn add little to no power... on a 500+ hp truck maybe... not tryin to stir s**t up but many have tested this theory and its proven.. infact some of the aftermarket airhorns actually lost peak hp... do what you want but imo its just underhood bling

Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

U can tell no difference with an intake and delete kit. I made and intake and got a heater grid delete from Haisley and the only difference i could tell was the sound of the air. But the less restriction on air, the better. So it is def helping

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

anytime you free air flow you will gain more power and fuel mileage. now thats been a proven fact by everyone that has ever tested a product. now on a lower hp engine you will not notice it as much as a higher power one. but i have never seen a test that showed a loss of power, that is statistcally impossible that freeing air flow dynamics will hurt your power or fuel mileage. if this happens then you have a problem steming from somewhere else in the engine or electrical system. or when you installed the horn or grid delete you created an air leak.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel
anytime you free air flow you will gain more power and fuel mileage. now thats been a proven fact by everyone that has ever tested a product. now on a lower hp engine you will not notice it as much as a higher power one. but i have never seen a test that showed a loss of power, that is statistcally impossible that freeing air flow dynamics will hurt your power or fuel mileage. if this happens then you have a problem steming from somewhere else in the engine or electrical system. or when you installed the horn or grid delete you created an air leak.
show me some dyno numbers and i might believe it... but from previous test the truck picked up maybe 1 or 2 horse power while others lost some...dont ask me why im just stating facts.. you could use the 300 bucks it would take to get one or spend it on something that makes a real difference

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

to the OP sorry for fillin up this thread with a bunch of b.s but you could spend the money in other places that would make a much bigger difference hope this helps

Last edited by D-LUX; 03-03-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

Honestly I would spend the money on a cold air intake that will flow more air than the K&N. The factory intake elbow will flow more than enough air for the mods that you have done to the truck.

Quick Reply: Upgrade intake?