24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Oil filter relocation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Oil filter relocation

So with the compounds on my 01 now, it's very tight to get the oil filter in and out. I went to the parts store with a tape measure and bought the shortest filter made for the truck but still had to dent the bottom in a little to get it to fit. The oil pressure obviously pops the dent back out as soon as you start it... Unfortunately the shortest filter in length is a fram which I'm not a fan of. I can't wait to try getting the filter out. Here's the deal, the filter is now putting pressure onto the rubber part of the return line and kinking it... It should be open enough to still let it drain but I don't really want to take chances. Does anybody know of any filter relocation kits? Maybe even dual filters?

This drain design is freakin stupid... The molded rubber hose I bought has to be the shape of a question mark to connect the return line to the block return. I'll post a picture up here in a second, I'm on my phone. Thanks everyone

Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Diesel Wrench

As you can see, some genius obviously designed the return line. I mean I can't think of a better design! It boggles my mind. Keep in mind my options are limited due to space restrictions. The oil filter sits right over top of this mess

Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

pac brake makes a relocation kit for these trucks. i have one on mine and it is the single greatest thig ive bought for it. my twins are huge so that was a have too to even get a filter on it. it relocates it to under the passenger fender and is the cleanest relocation kit ive ever seen. i sell them and i think they are around the 250 mark. and they come with everything you need to install. they make life so much easier and keeps you from having to half way disassemble your twin kit to get the filter out.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Diesel Wrench

Awesome. Exactly what I'm looking for. I will most definitely keep it in mind that you sell em. Thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ya buddy if you need one pm me and ill get you a definite price and shipping info on it. if youo wanna see what it looks like installed you can send me your email and ill shoot you some pics of it thursday night when i get back in the shop working on it.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Diesel Wrench

Do ya know if the oil return needs to run downhill at all times?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

amsoil also makes dual remote oil filtration system.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kingbrad89
Do ya know if the oil return needs to run downhill at all times?
the oil return? on a relocation its pressurized just like the entire oiling system. now if your talking bout the return on the turbo it is also pressurized but it needs to run down hill just to keep oil from building up. the main reason is that its not a fitted line so if it builds pressure it can blow off creating a major problem if you dont notice it quick. and i havent forgot you on those pics i forgot my camera when i went in to the shop this afternoon, but i promise you i will send them to you first thing in the morning. also, on the note of the amsoil kit i have had both of them in the shop and the quality just seemed a little better on the pac-brake version. but to each their own they both work.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:15 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I'm going to put on a AmsOil relocation system, once the right battery is out of the picture.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel
the oil return? on a relocation its pressurized just like the entire oiling system. now if your talking bout the return on the turbo it is also pressurized but it needs to run down hill just to keep oil from building up. the main reason is that its not a fitted line so if it builds pressure it can blow off creating a major problem if you dont notice it quick. and i havent forgot you on those pics i forgot my camera when i went in to the shop this afternoon, but i promise you i will send them to you first thing in the morning. also, on the note of the amsoil kit i have had both of them in the shop and the quality just seemed a little better on the pac-brake version. but to each their own they both work.
Yes I mean the oil return for the turbo. I assumed it was not pressurized, that the used oil from the turbo just drips/falls into that return and runs down to the block. (which still makes sense to me)... The reason i ask is, the way the DPS systems are set up, they have the y pipe that connects the 2 drains together. It's almost impossible to make the system work without the drain running at least horizontal at some point. My drain line comes in from the passenger side going at a 90 degree angle toward the block. This leaves me having to put a 90 degree (actually looks like a ? In shape) molded rubber hose fitting to attach the drain to the block connection. I'll post a pic

Quick Reply: Oil filter relocation