24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

I GOT A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I GOT A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so has this happened to anyone else one here.....i have a 2002 dodge 2500 cummins 24v and the other day i started my truck to let it warm up and it started not really missing but running out of fuel and it would pop and sputter for a minute then be fine so i shut it off and tryed starting it again and it would crank but wouldnt fire so i let it sit for a minute started it again and fired right up like nothing was wrong ran great for two day and now every once i a while just driving it down the road it will pop once or twice and be fine! anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You need to check for DTC's. You can use the key method of Key on, off, on, off, on, leaving it on the last time. Be ready to write down anything that shows in the odometer window. If you get a PdOnE and a E dOnE, you have no codes. When you do this, please post them.

You may also have gotten some bad fuel, so you might change your fuel filter.

Others will chime in.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you know what the fuel pressure was doing during all this and how cold was it?

We have had problems here in IA with NON-winter blended fuel, it plugs the fuel filter with goo and fuel pressure drops like a rock.

Not saying thats your problem, but its happened to us several times now, we have to watch really close to the fuel we buy.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM

thanks for the info guys! as soon as i get a chance ill run out and try the code thing i was thinkin it was bad fuel myself but it still does it every once in a while and i have filled up since then

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ok....so i went out and checked for codes and i got the pdone but it ran through acouple of p numbers as well?.....p0500,p1693,p0370,p0217 any of this sound right?

Last edited by rollin'coal; 02-28-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate that 1693 number it usually means bad things

Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Diesel Fan

fuel filter, lift pump pressure, how cold was the ouside temp? I have been told that the connection on the bottom of the lift pump can come loose . Just guessing.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

P 0500 No Vehicle speed sensor
P 1693 DTC detected in Companion Module, this is a companion code, there is another code set in your ECM or PCM. You need a code reader to clear this.
P 0370 Fuel Injection Pump Speed/Position Sensor Signal Lost (Problem Caused by internal pump failure)
P 0217 Decreased Engine Performance due to engine overheat condition. Engine overheating, ECM will derate engine performance.

You might clear the codes with a reader, drive the truck for a day, then read the codes again to see what you have.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 01 started doing this same thing last week. I changed the fuel filter and it drove ok for a few days and then almost died on me getting home from work and the check engine light came on. The only code that came up for me in the odometer window was 1693. I have it parked right now until I can get a scanner on it to see what other codes I might have. I will let you know what I find.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Diesel Fan

my buddy just bought a truck 00 model its got the same issue except one min it will run fine the next i cant get it started back thought at first it was clogged filter so i changed it ran for a min then died so my next thought still air in the fuel lines i bled and bled some more and another thing i drive a 12 valve and can manually prime my pump i dont think you can the 24s? so i told him to cylce his key on and off to let the pump run... it would not run until he bumped the motor over. one min it starts the next it wont what can i do???

Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TN12valve
my buddy just bought a truck 00 model its got the same issue except one min it will run fine the next i cant get it started back thought at first it was clogged filter so i changed it ran for a min then died so my next thought still air in the fuel lines i bled and bled some more and another thing i drive a 12 valve and can manually prime my pump i dont think you can the 24s? so i told him to cylce his key on and off to let the pump run... it would not run until he bumped the motor over. one min it starts the next it wont what can i do???
Aftermarket or stock lift pump?? If its stock, could be the problem. Lift pump maybe dead. Also check real close for any signs of fuel leaking. Remember, where fuel can leak, air can get in

Quick Reply: I GOT A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!