24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cracked Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:13 AM
I'm a girl!

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Cracked Dash

So I have two cracks in my dash and they are about to become one and make one big hole in the middle. I have been searching a little bit and have read mixed reviews on using a dash cover (not the mat) some say it worked fine even with the holes/cracks in their dash others says it looked like crap and didnt work very well. Is anyone using one of these or have you used a cover. I really havent found anyone that sells anything but the cover's of course other than the dealer and im not paying the high amount im sure they want.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

talk to a body shop Bia, its hard to find whole dash suppliers, i looked for a good 30 minutes last nite when ya asked in chat, you could always try the junk yard.......

Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm a girl!

the junk yards around here suck for finding truck parts. I went not to long ago and went to about 6 junk yards I found 2 second gens and both of them had allready been stripped. My buddys went to a bunch of junkyards this past week said they found 3 second gens and the dash's were done in all of them. Last night I searched LMC truck and all the had was covers I also searched lkq's (a huge junkyard) inventory and came back with nothing.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

just get one of those dash covers from lmc truck, thats what im going to do, mines starting to crack all over the place

Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm a girl!

well I would kinda like opinions from people who allready have dash covers I have seen some brands that dont fit right and look like crap and others that you couldnt even really tell there was a cover on. I dont wanna just throw $100 dollars out the window by buying one that dosent fit right.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

i knoe Geno's sells a cover... but i've heard mixed reviews about it..... hopefully someone will chime in soon..... mine is cracked in about 7 or 8 spots..... i'll wait till it falls apart and just fiberglass it together and gelcoat it.....

Old 12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Its the heat...Im in Canada and have NEVER seen a cracked dash on these trucks - and ive seen/been in MANY of them.

There are some good replacement covers available or you could get on of those dash mats.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

A dash cover won't do you a whole lot of good IMO. Mine cracked, bad, and then it started disintegrating. The first things to go were the radio supports....then were the cupholder bolts on...then the HVAC control mount...

By the time I got around to replacing it you could mover everything in or connected to the dash.

It's partially from the heat but it's also the fact that Dodge uses garbage, cheap, brittle plastic for the dashes and then doesn't have hardly anything under the plastic to support it.

I know mine is a 96 and it's a different design than yours but I guarantee the same thing is happening for the same reason.

Check out http://www.johnsauto.com/. This is where I got my dash from. Give them a call and see what it would cost to get one and have it shipped. When I got mine last summer they had a ton of 2nd Gens sitting there.

The following users liked this post:
OneBadBia (12-03-2007)
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm a girl!

I just did a search on their site and they dont have a dash in but I suppose I could call tomorrow and see if maybe they have one that hasnt been entered in yet.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

If they have one I can stop by and look at it if you want. Make sure it's decent.

Quick Reply: Cracked Dash