24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

2 Run or not 2 run 2 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2 Run or not 2 run 2 stroke

So I am new to this, but I have heard about running 2stroke with diesel. Can you guys tell me if it's worth it? Is this a proven science? What fuel additives work best? Can you increase mpgs by doing this?

Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Are you just looking for mileage increase? In all honesty the way to increase mileage is to increase the "energy" in the fuel which two stroke will not.
Two stroke is not a science and for true protection a fuel additive such as stanadyne (or other reliable brand) is the way to go. Plenty of folks use two stroke oil but have no clue if it's beneficial or not. They may say it beneficial but you could simply ask them for the proof, They might say their mileage is better and in fact it may be but it may have nothing to do with two stroke oil.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes I am looking for increase in mpgs. But I also wonder what other benifits come from fuel additives. What should I run is the better question.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

It's really a personal preference, Whats easiest and most cost effective.
Of course the one with the most additive and best results will be the cost effective one, Not the cheapest. I run stanadyne but have also had good results with powerservice.
I do not recommend items like the lucas oil diesel and gas treatment. Anything with alcohol is bad news.
Fuel mileage is most effected by the way you drive and basic maint. of your truck.
Checking your tire pressure often, Keep up on air filter cleaning or replacement, fuel filter changes etc.

Last edited by mysterync; 02-20-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Geeeze need to learn how to spell.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

I myself run the amsoil diesel fuel concentrate plus all their fluids throughout my truck. I average 18mpg on the highway. I used to run 2 stroke oil and it does add lubricity to the fuel there was study on the fuel additives and some didn't do as well as we would of liked.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Heath is the amsoil dealer on the site (just thought I would add that in there)
I might add that the study 01quadcab is talking about was floating around here , i just cant remember where. I think the one i saw was in regards to lubricity only.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mysterync
Are you just looking for mileage increase? In all honesty the way to increase mileage is to increase the "energy" in the fuel which two stroke will not.
Two stroke is not a science and for true protection a fuel additive such as stanadyne (or other reliable brand) is the way to go. Plenty of folks use two stroke oil but have no clue if it's beneficial or not. They may say it beneficial but you could simply ask them for the proof, They might say their mileage is better and in fact it may be but it may have nothing to do with two stroke oil.

I was able to document about 1/2 MPG increase in fuel mileage with no other changes besides adding the 2 stroke oil. Hand calculated, fueled at the same pump the same way, same driving routes and same driving habits. Another unexpected byproduct was a quieter sounding engine. I used it for the VP44. I was able to increase MPG more by adding a lockup switch and changed driving habits to more use the capabilities with the LU switch. I was able to document between 1-1 1/2 MPG increase in my fuel mileage. I check mileage on every fill and fuel the same pump about 90%+ plus of the time.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I was able to document about 1/2 MPG increase in fuel mileage with no other changes besides adding the 2 stroke oil. Hand calculated, fueled at the same pump the same way, same driving routes and same driving habits. Another unexpected byproduct was a quieter sounding engine. I used it for the VP44. I was able to increase MPG more by adding a lockup switch and changed driving habits to more use the capabilities with the LU switch. I was able to document between 1-1 1/2 MPG increase in my fuel mileage. I check mileage on every fill and fuel the same pump about 90%+ plus of the time.
Besides lubrication can you show the benefits of two stroke?
How can you say it increased your mileage if it does not increase the BTU of the fuel?
It does not make logical sense. I just dont believe that you saw an increase and it was related to the two stroke. I do believe you may have seen an increase but as I said, you would have to do alot of explaining and proving for me to ever believe it had anything to do with two stroke. It may have been a diesel fuel blend change for your area who knows. Heck it could be the two stroke and you had a sticky injector that was lubricated could have been something in the pump. But I stand firm, It had nothing to do with the chemical composition of the fuel and two stroke mix that equated to better mileage.
Please dont take that the wrong way, I'm not calling you a liar by any means and again if it works for you more power to ya!

I will have to agree with the point of a smoother sound, (which is seen in some trucks when running a lubricity modifier) and I'll also say that the lockup switch is an often missed point in regards to fuel economy! Again your input is very helpful in helping us all learn and grow, and your opinion is appreciated

Last edited by mysterync; 02-21-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I havent noticed any notable mpg increases. My engine however runs much smoother and quieter with 2 stroke. I even quit running it for a while just to make sure it wasnt in my head. I have no hard evidence but I think if you try it you will like the results.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

i run it, didn't seem to get any better milage, runs smoother and quieter. i have also noticed that it doesn't seem to smoke as bad when i run it. might just be my head but i don't know

Quick Reply: 2 Run or not 2 run 2 stroke