24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

is amsoil worth the bling

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question is amsoil worth the bling

thinking of using the amsoil front and rearend and tranny will stick with rotella for motor but was wondering if its worth it to switch for everything else

Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO yes royal purple or amsoil are very good products. i run all royal purple in my trucks and love it

Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

imo the mobil 1 is just as good and half the price its what i run in my drag truck and what i run in the gear cases of all my vehicles.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Diesel Fan

has anyone seen any fuel milage increases in switching i think its the amsoil that claims an increase in milage when switching. i like and have always trusted mobil products we use alot of mobil oils in our offroad equipment cost is good and so is the product. just wanted to hear from people that have the experiance in other products thinking its way past due for frontend and rearend oil matinance 3rd owner of my CTD and no records to go with it thanks for the input and advise from everyone.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i have used amsoils and royal purple and the mobil 1 get the exact same results. we tried royal purple in the front and rear diffs on a 07 5.9 then the next change went to mobil 1 and the fuel mileage between the 2 stayed the exact same. i havent seen the differences in amsoil and mobil 1 but one of the guys in the shop just spent the change to try it out in his 2wd 02 5.9, thus far he has seen the same percent increase that we saw with the mobil 1. imho the thing that sets them aside is the fact that they are syntetic, the cost differences doesnt justify amsoil or royal purple when you can get the same results for a fraction of the cost. and yes any of the sythetics will increase fuel mileage some and it really depends on the driver and the app its being used in as to what that diference will be. but the reason for the increase is that sythetics are much slicker than conventional oils and anything that has less friction creates lees drag and will give you better mileage, also when you have less friction a side affect is that you will have less heat making the gear case last much longer. so its really up the the consumer as to what you wanna try but they are all basically the same just a few different additives and some dont have the pretty purple color that cant be seen in the axle anyway. but cost vs effect mobil 1 is just as good and cheaper. and when your at 10 bucks a quart cheap times 10 or more quarts per change it really adds up.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks sounds like i am gona stick with what i trust mobil for me

Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

the switch to synthetics in the diffs is very worth the cost. My truck gained almost a mile per gallon. now I am not sure what the mobil 1 gear oil runs per qt but if your a preferred customer I believe the amsoil should be pretty close to the mobil 1. I don't run royal purple, but they seem to advertise well enough to charge a pretty penny for it. If your interested in amsoil for a good price get a quote from heath. This is how I started running amsoil.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

im not sure about the cost of amsoil gear oil, but if its like the motor oils its way over priced. last i checked motor oil from amsoil was like 60-80 a gallon depending on where it came from. and thats about 3 times the cost of rotella t synthetic. and i know that royal purple gear oils are twice the cost of mobil 1. so if the cost of amsoil gear oil stacks with their motor oils its not gonna be cheap.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel
im not sure about the cost of amsoil gear oil, but if its like the motor oils its way over priced. last i checked motor oil from amsoil was like 60-80 a gallon depending on where it came from. and thats about 3 times the cost of rotella t synthetic. and i know that royal purple gear oils are twice the cost of mobil 1. so if the cost of amsoil gear oil stacks with their motor oils its not gonna be cheap.
I don't know where your getting your prices from, but your not even close. If you go online to amsoil.com and price the heavy duty diesel and marine it's 32.40 thats anyone rate it's less if your a preferred customer. it's also less if you buy it by the case. I don't think anyone would be able to afford to run the motor oil if it cost 180-240 to change the oil plus filter in a cummins. For the best possible price contact heath. I can't post the preferred customer price online because it's against amsoil policy. but if you become a preferred customer or dealer it's usually 20-25% under retail.

Last edited by 01quadcab; 02-16-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

What Mike said. Your figures may be a little off. Be glad to let you know what it would cost but Mobil is a fine product. If I wasn't running amsoil, mobil would be it. The price of RP and the results I've seen with various testing wouldn't convice me to use it.
As for fuel mileage, the gain, if any is minimal. Using synthetics in the drive train does help more than engine oil alone though so if one was to see a gain, it would be more so with tranny and gear lubes.

Quick Reply: is amsoil worth the bling