24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

Im new here and would like some imput on some mods to do to my truck. I have a 98.5 cummins that is all stock. I would like to add some power but am worried about fuel pumps going out. I would like to add power without having to put a ton of money into it and not having to worry about fuel pumps and transmissions. If any one has some ideas let me know. Thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

this should be in the aftermarket section but, even stock,I reccomend upgrading to an aftermarket fuel pump. The stock ones are junk and fail often causing massive amounts of damage to the injection pump, can lead to big money repairs. PPE sells a decent pump for under 300. FASS or Airdog or raptor pumps are other options. Bottom line is that 300 bucks is well spent vs at least 1000 for the injection pump plus labor costs if you dont do it yourself. as far as power without worrying about a trans, id just get a cold air intake, 4 inch exhaust. after that, id get a small programer, say an edge ez, powerpuck or the TST powershot when it comes out. Is your truck an auto or manual? autos cant handle as much power as a manual, stock autos are said to give near 600 ft lbs and stock manuals will slip the clutch at 750 ft lbs of torque and being that your inthe ballpark of 400 ft lbs, not much wiggle room

Old 01-31-2011, 03:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

take your money, get a fass, airdog or raptor to replace your factory lift pump and get a fuel pressure gauge and watch it and i wouldnt let it get below 10spi, as far as power mods go, beef up the tranny a bit and go with a smarty or if u wanna spend the money quadzilla adrenaline with pulse for on the fly power shifts, other then that, bigger exhaust, and injectors, but id definitley do an aftermarket lift pump and fuel psi gauge before anything! just my .02

Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 AM
Diesel Fan

go with a aftermarket fuel pump first if u have any worry. PPE or Airdog would be my choice. get some gauges *boost, pyro, tranny temp* and depending on how much u want to spend on a programmer. i waited and bought a quadzilla adrenaline. best purchase ive made for my truck. my truck went from to and its a plus since its a shift on the fly programmer. hope this helps

Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks everyone for the imput. It looks like I should concentrate on getting a fuel pump for now.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with them on the pump. I have a 98.5 with few mods but in hindsight i would have put the fass lift pump in first...easier on your VP44, fuels a programmer better and takes a load off of your mind.