24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

front brake pad uneven wear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front brake pad uneven wear?

my brake pads are not wearing evenly. on both sides, the outer pad is wearing and the inner is not at all. i stop fine and everything,but it is killing my outer pads.i have fairly new rotors, and fairly new calipers. i just replaced the pads with the severe duty ones from auto zone, and once again they are not wearing properly. i even greased the pins with white lithium grease and still, same thing. what is wrong with it?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

very common problem................the inner pads are stuck, need to pull them off there and break em loose or you will kill yer rotors...............get the grease off there it just attracts dirt, go with some dry graphite lube

The following users liked this post:
kegs99 (01-01-2011)
Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you recently changed calipers but check piston and bore to make sure its not sticking.You can take some emory cloth or fine sand paper to the piston.

Last edited by oldduallyfart; 12-29-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

alright thanks whit i'll be doing that right after work tomorrow! and thanks oldduallyfart, that is actually the first thing i checked, but thank you for the idea/input.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

well i pulled the calipers off, pulled the slide pins and sure enough they were SEIZED bad. i soaked them in brake clean and since i was there and i had new ones laying around, i replaced the rubber boot that goes into the caliper. then i put good grease made for the slide pins on them and worked them out for a couple min. they work great. braking power feels better and they actually slide like supposed to. thanks whit.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok so i'm back at stage one on this problem guys. Pads Are still unevenly wearing. Gonna bleed the system out this week and see if that helps, gotta replace the dang pads, again. what else could be causing this. Its on BOTH sides! wth? if bleeding the brakes don't work i'm lookin at replacing master cylinder, booster, lines and calipers, and turning the rotors. what do you guys think?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a question I have new pads and rotors not long ago and when I depressed the brake pedal my brakes deflect and pulsate? If fact Easter day I was on a back high- way to pull off to my grandmas house and it made my truck shimmy and shake bad. I pulled wheels off and everything looks new. I have a spare set of pads. What do you guys thinks

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Sorry not trying to take away from your post Kegs99. I hope you get yours figured out sorry for barging in. I didnt read your last post till just now I thought you had it fixed.

Last edited by KillStroker; 04-26-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by KillStroker
I had a question I have new pads and rotors not long ago and when I depressed the brake pedal my brakes deflect and pulsate? If fact Easter day I was on a back high- way to pull off to my grandmas house and it made my truck shimmy and shake bad. I pulled wheels off and everything looks new. I have a spare set of pads. What do you guys thinks

Sorry not trying to take away from your post Kegs99. I hope you get yours figured out sorry for barging in. I didnt read your last post till just now I thought you had it fixed.
Rotors need to be turned or replaced

Originally Posted by kegs99
ok so i'm back at stage one on this problem guys. Pads Are still unevenly wearing. Gonna bleed the system out this week and see if that helps, gotta replace the dang pads, again. what else could be causing this. Its on BOTH sides! wth? if bleeding the brakes don't work i'm lookin at replacing master cylinder, booster, lines and calipers, and turning the rotors. what do you guys think?
Definitly wouldn't be master cylinder, booster or lines, but the rubber brake hoses do sometimes collapse and may be causing your brakes to not release all the way, either that or calipers

Last edited by tiremann9669; 04-26-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Im thinkin more on the caliper side cause rotors were new with pads.

plus its intermittent

Last edited by KillStroker; 04-26-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

I've never seen a caliper cause brakes pulsate and don't see how it's possible you might have a bad tie rod causing it to shimmy when you brake.

Quick Reply: front brake pad uneven wear?