24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

1999 Dodge 24v

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 Dodge 24v

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a new truck, but when I go to look at it I was wondering if there is any key things I should look for. I'm kind of new to owning diesels and just want to make sure I don't over look anything. Its a 1999 24v 4x4 with only 65k miles on it for alittle over 17k. Ext cab many options. One last question is, it has the big metal mirrors on it with the the three posts on the door. I kind of like the look of them, but that may change with time. Is there any way that I could switch over to regular stock mirrors? Thanks guys

Old 12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

Make sure it's not a #53 block, and that the KDP has been tabbed. Other than that, it's just the usual really. Don't know that you can replace the mirrors without leaving big holes in the doors...

Old 12-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by mishkaya
Make sure it's not a #53 block, and that the KDP has been tabbed. Other than that, it's just the usual really. Don't know that you can replace the mirrors without leaving big holes in the doors...
What are the issues with the #53 block? And yea the kdp I figured that would be one of the first things I tended to, dont want it coming out and causing any damage. And yea I was figuring if I wanted to change them over there would be some body work involved and now that I look at the picture theres 4 posts, I kind of like the looks of them anyways.

Heres a picture of the truck..
1999 Dodge 24v-dodge-24v.jpg

Last edited by CTDpower; 12-26-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This should help...http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm...Is it a 3500 or 2500? I bought my 3500 in 07 and it was 16,500. With good options also. That price seems kind of high, but try Kelly Blue Book and NADA Guides, those are just "ballpark" figures. A truck is onlyn worth what the market will bare.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Scratch the what model question...didn't see the picture. duh

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I found the website by the background in the picture, it look slike you will have to invest in an exhaust as soon as you get it...not even sure if that is a 3 inch pipe. sure looks small.

Last edited by DanLowe; 12-26-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Diesel Fan

For some reason the link didn't work for me but I was able to do a search on here and found some information. Is the #53 block a deal breaker? Or something to take into consideration with the truck. And yea I couldn't believe it but when I did the blue book on the truck its only 13k, so I will be taking that with me in my mind when I go to look at the truck.... Yea when I saw the picture of the exhaust I didn't even think they came stock with an exhaust that small, but I was going to put a mbrp 4 inch turbo back straight pipe anyways. Thanks for all the information

Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CTDpower
Is the #53 block a deal breaker? Or something to take into consideration with the truck.
I wouldn't chance it personally, but others may think differently. If it cracks, you are pretty much up a creek...

Old 12-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

You'll find alot of information on the 53 block. I don' think there is a golden number for miles, but everything I have read is over 100k miles with no leak and you're safe. I see it has less miles than this. If the dealer does not work with you on price, remember, there are alot of these trucks out there. You can always find another one.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Diesel Fan

The #53 block was thinner than the other blocks such as the #55 which made it prone to cracking. Sometimes under a heavy load or alot of stress the block would crack on the right side under the head. To check and see which block its got (because if its at a dealer they most likely wont know ), the number 53 or 55 (most likely) will be stamped under the vp44 injection pump on the right side of the block. Just go under the truck and look up. Ive heard their stamped on the left side too but the only ones ive seen were on the right. Since i think you stated above that its a dealer then they probably wont know what all motor work is done which kinda sucks but who knows. Maybe youll get lucky

Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

when you go for a test run, before starting it, feel the turbo. If the guy says its cold, but has just ran it to warm it up, the engine itself may not be warm. But, even letting it run for 5 seconds will get the turbo and manifold warm enough that you'll know if it was really cold or not. If she smokes to bad....you know the rest

Old 12-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

as far as a 53 block goes, they are good, they only crack when you abuse them and really over heat them. i have a 99 and it has 170k on it and last time it was on the dyno it was over 700 whp. and it produces 80 psi. and its a 53 block.. and the kdp on the 24 valve isnt as much of a problem as the 12 valve. if you want to "fix" it for peice of mind all you need is a punch and a hammer you dont need the fix kit. its a waste of money. but i agree i think 17 is a little high for a truck thats 11 years old... and beware of the dash all 98.5-02 models WILL crack and bust apart. and watch the fuel pressure the carter pumps are bad to fail and if they do it will fry the vp44.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge 24v