24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

posi or unlimited slip ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 03:40 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default posi or unlimited slip ??

My 99 dodge 2wd is it posi traction or limited slip .. The truck use to hit posi all the time ! now it only a one wheel wonder , Any ideas whats going on here ??

Last edited by 01ISX; 12-17-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

If the truck has a limited slip diff, and you put it to work often (burnout much?) then there is a good chance that you've worn out the clutches in the limited slip unit. You can have the unit rebuilt or replaced with another, or you can just drive it as-is (open differential.) Remember, for a clutch style limited slip (like the factory one is) you need to run fluid approved for limited slip diffs.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea that whats funny i havent done it 2 many times just when i frist got tha truck and thats been years ago when i got out and gave it hell & layed some nice posi down ... now it lays that one wheelwonder down makes me mad LOL

Old 12-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Try changing the diff fluid, I changed the fluid in mine, and it made a difference. Any fyi, a posi, and limited slip are all the same thing, yes there are differnt types and versions, but the bottom line is if it's not a full locker or open diff, then it's a limited slip.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

easy to tell if its limited. just chock the front wheels and jack the rear up (both wheels) in park, spin one wheel by hand. if it turns easy and the other wheel rotates the opposite direction, its an open diff. if it turns hard or not at all, its limited. you can pull the axle shafts and drop out the carrier, pull it apart, and swap out the clutches to make it "tighter" or "looser". the factory only faced a couple frictions to steels for a "loose" limited so it wouldnt chatter when cornering and get better MPGs.
Just DONT clean the clutches when you do this or the rear will chatter for quite a while until the fluid gets back in there.