24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case

So I'm tryin to find a new transfer case, and I don't want a brand new one, but I don't really know what one I need. Does it have to be specific to an automatic or manual tranny? Does it matter if it was off a 5 or a 6 speed? Are there certain years on Dodge's that are interchangeable? Mine's broke way beyond being able to rebuild it, so if you guys could help me out that'd be great. Thanks

Old 11-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was asking this same question about 6 months ago. your trans case is probably a 241DLD. auto's and manuals are different. if i remember right theres more splines on a manual. you can interchange to a newer year but theres some modifying you have to do to the drive shaft and possibly your front yoke on the drive shaft. if you wanted to go with something a little heavier duty try and find a 241DHD. its a wider chain and thicker housing. i went with the 241DHD, but i had to buy a bigger front yoke and shorten my d shaft 2" because of the housing being a little longer. If you need a place to get one used i went thru Interstate Salvage in Joplin, MO. but thats probably a little far for you. there parts are good and the prices are good also.

The following users liked this post:
WyoCumminsGirl (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

You should have a 241 DHD. It will say on the round tag. It should also have a one piece tailshaft housing. That's what my 02 6 speed had.

The 5 speed and the 6 speed used the same 29 spline output shaft on the trans. The auto used a 23 spline output. If you can find a transfer case for an auto it isn't too hard to take it apart and replace the input. A new input usually cost around $100. The problem is finding one. When I broke mine the cheapest I could find a rebuilt 241 DHD was 1100.

I upgraded mine to the 271D found on the 03 and up third gens(and the Ford Super Dutys) It requires a little bit of modifying to get it to fit. It bolts up but you usually have to shorten your rear driveshaft, lengthen your front one, and grind on the frame rail a bit. It also uses a bigger rear output yoke than a 241DHD.

If you don't want to swap to a 271 and don't want to do extra work to make stuff fit, then you need to stick with what you have. It should be a 241 DHD which most 6 speeds had and it should be a 1 piece tail shaft housing. The 2 piece had a smaller output shaft.

The following users liked this post:
WyoCumminsGirl (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok guys thanks for breakin it down for me. The tag on the one on my truck said 241DLD, but I was talking to a guy at my work and he said that's the stock one, and they tend not to hold up as long. He said the 241DHD is a little meatier and holds up a little longer. Has anyone else heard the same thing?

I was thinking about getting the 241DHD but I'll look into the 271D as well and see which one will work best for me.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so I see there is a little debate here the only way to get the 241 Dhd is to have what they call the hd package for our models the hd was by order only and if you have a qc sb with a 5/6 SPd it is actually a special order but they are simple cases and the bud if your chain isn't broke then you should be able to get it rebuild at a tranny shop for about 300 that's what it cost me for a complete rebuild and it's a heck of alot cheaper than 1k for one and if you have the hd package then you will know it cause you will have a Dana 60/2 in the front and a Dana 80 in the rear and you will have 13 in rotors and the hd tow package with integrated brakes for the trailer and a few other odds and ends

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Oh and the output shaft on the manual tranny is acually the same as an auto but the output shaft on the manual tranny w/ transfer case actually has 1 less spline than the auto it's funny and if he were to switch the t case then you will need to get a different spline shaft for the driveline cause they are all different every single case has a different size shaft trust me I've been through this back in April it sucked

Last edited by navy_welder; 11-21-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Diesel Fan

I don't think there's any rebuilding this one

Attached Thumbnails Transfer Case-transfercase.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the chain break cause I found out that's the expensive part and the shafts are too but I thought mine was gutted I mean like it went out goin 70 down the hwy and the only way to lymp it home was to take my foot and kick it into 4 hi so I didn't cause a very big accident so yeah and all they replaced was the oil pump and the shift fork and all the bearings and seals for 300 so basically as long as your shafts gears and chain is ok and not broke or sheared they can fix it just take it to a good tranny shop and usually fix it over night or same day if you drop it off early enough mine was fixed in about 4 hours

Oh and they replaced the oil pump too

A good weld shop might be able to weld it back for ya or a tranny shop might have a new case they can sell you still might not be to bad

There is a dld on eBay for 400 might check that out and there is quite a few for about 500-700 and that's actually a good price on them They also have some newer style tc too and also try amazon as well

Last edited by navy_welder; 11-22-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

I would figure out the cause of your case splitting then I would buy this two items.
It's alot cheaper.
Ebay bid for you case: 241 D Dodge Transfer Case Back Cover, C-16121 $ 57.70
241 D Dodge Transfer Case Front Cover, C-16124 $ 77.70

Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Good find with the covers.

If you need a rebuilt kit .Dodge Transfer Case Parts

Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by navy_welder
Ok so I see there is a little debate here the only way to get the 241 Dhd is to have what they call the hd package for our models the hd was by order only and if you have a qc sb with a 5/6 SPd it is actually a special order but they are simple cases and the bud if your chain isn't broke then you should be able to get it rebuild at a tranny shop for about 300 that's what it cost me for a complete rebuild and it's a heck of alot cheaper than 1k for one and if you have the hd package then you will know it cause you will have a Dana 60/2 in the front and a Dana 80 in the rear and you will have 13 in rotors and the hd tow package with integrated brakes for the trailer and a few other odds and ends

Oh and the output shaft on the manual tranny is acually the same as an auto but the output shaft on the manual tranny w/ transfer case actually has 1 less spline than the auto it's funny and if he were to switch the t case then you will need to get a different spline shaft for the driveline cause they are all different every single case has a different size shaft trust me I've been through this back in April it sucked

Transmission output shafts are different from Auto to Manual. Manual is 29 spline. Auto is 23 spline. Anyone who says they are not different doesn't know what they are talking about.

Edit: Realizedyou were talking about the Transfer Case output. I know the 241DLD 241 DHD(one piece tailshaft) and the 271D all have different sized output shafts. But that is the first I've heard of the output shafts having different splines between auto and manual. Got pictures?

Originally Posted by WyoCumminsGirl
I don't think there's any rebuilding this one
If that's the case, throw new bearings and seals at it, Find a new case and FIX THAT DOUBLE CARDAN JOINT! That would be my first place to look anyways. Or make sure your Front drive shaft isn't too long and stresses the case when it bottoms out.

FWIW I have a 241 DHD strung out in pieces because the front planetary gave up on me. You should be able to use your front planetary on it. I think the only difference between the 2 is the DLD doesn't have a PTO gear on it. But I don't know that for sure Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Originally Posted by navy_welder
There is a dld on eBay for 400 might check that out and there is quite a few for about 500-700 and that's actually a good price on them They also have some newer style tc too and also try amazon as well

If you shop around you can usually find a 271D for 500-600 or so as well. But then your probably looking at another 200 in driveshaft work. Sometimes the front Driveshaft is long enough, sometimes it's not. But the 271 is a stronger Transfer case.

Last edited by kazairl; 11-22-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case