24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

i need some enlightenment

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i need some enlightenment

well i got my truck checked out because of the oil leak and i was told that it could be the timing cover that is leaking... but that mechanic said that it would cost 1400 to freakin fix it cuz theres two gears press fitted on it somehow that would have to be taken off or some stupid crap like that and the only way to fix it would be to take it to a dealership... is this true or what?? im slightly agrivated about it at the moment cuz it seems like payin 1400 bucks for a freakin gasket.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Site Sponsor - Alligator Performance
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

He is yanking your chain dude. You can repair this in your driveway and I would be happy to spend a few hours on the phone with you to walk you through it. You could do it this weekend and have it running before lunch time on saturday with nothing more than a few sockets and a tube of RTV Black.

Give me a shout at work 208-777-1977 or on my cell at 208-819-6065

Old 11-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

im pretty sure i could do it without help but what he said about the gears confuses the crap outa me. i thought there was only two gears, the cam gear and then one other gear that connects the cam gear with the crankshaft. am i right or wrong here??

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and whats bad is he dont even know if thats the actual cause of the leak. but after talkin with some of the other people on here and lookin where the leak is coming from for myself i think hes right in ASSUMING that the leak is coming from there. i just think he didnt want to mess with it.

Last edited by dieselboy88; 11-12-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Depends on whether he is talking about the timing case cover or the timing case itself.

If it is the cover that is leaking no gears have to come off.

I have heard that some early 24valves has problems with the KDP still. If that is the case, the entire timing case will have to be replaced. That will require a bit more work. But 24 valve KDP problems are relatively rare so I'm betting it's the cover that is leaking.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Site Sponsor - Alligator Performance
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree, KDP's are usually caught before they become a problem on the 24 valves. I was going to walk you through the fix on that as well if you call. More than likelly it is just the cover and all you need to do is take it off clean it up real nice with brake clean and add a nice heavy bead of RTV Black before putting it back together. I would suggest checking the cam seal while you are in there but that should take care of it.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ya thats an easy job theres several gears in there but none that would complicate removing the timing cover and getting the actual gasket through cummins for the timing cover is only 3 bucks the one thing you might check if the leak is bad is the front main seal also want to be careful with the seal when removing the cover good luck

Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i always replace the crank seal on anything i work on when the timing/gear cover comes off. v8 or diesel. cheap insurance to not do it again tomorow.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

sounds good. but on the timing case kazairl, what all would have to be done? the leak is coming from behind the fan if i remember right. or would you be able to tell before taking the cover off? the guy said he ran it for about 45 minutes and said that the leak was a small one if that helps any.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Here is a write up on the Timing Case change out. It is written for a 12v but there won't be much of a difference between that and a 24v.

KDP damaged case repair instructions - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Here is another

KDP - Killer Dowel Pin

This one shows you where the case usually cracks when the KDP comes out.

https://www.dieselbombers.com/dodge-...l-pin-fix.html

I would agree with everyone else. Replace seals while your in there and buy a KDP tab kit and install it. Like I said, KDP related breakage on 24vs is rare but it does happen.

I hate using silicone. If it is something that I will be taking on and off a lot I will use it (lightly) but otherwise I use Anerobic sealer. much better stuff than any type of silicone. Down side is it's more expensive but oh so worth it.

If you do use silicone, try to use a light coat. If you put it on thick it will squeeze out. Ever seen that nice ridge of silicone that gets squeezed out(and then dries) when a part is tightened? Guess what, that's also on the inside. Just waiting to come loose and plug up an oil pickup.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks bud. i got sum stuff called hitack that i can use on the timing cover, we used it in the main rebuild shop i was interning at with MidCon. i went and got some of my own. only downfall with it is it needs the gasket to work. its liquid so it goes on like a super thin layer of oil butit turns super sticky. and it dont squeeze out like silicone or any other putty for that matter.