24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

left turn signal and cruise control short??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default left turn signal and cruise control short??

ok last thread for the day. i have a short somewhere either on the left turn signal or on the cruise control. i dont know the wiring diagrams for dodges but somethin tells me that the left blinker and the cruise control are wired together somehow. i noticed this same problem with my dads 98 dodge 3500 work truck as well. what happens is when i turn on the parkin lights the left blinker arrow flickers when i hit bumps in the road. and when i have the cruise on sometimes it shuts off the cruise for maybe two or three seconds then it picks back up. what are your thoughts everyone? im open to any and all possiblities. thanks!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I dunno if they are wired together, but I have had lots of shorts in the the steerin colum on my 01

Old 10-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

did you recentley remove the steering wheel? i know on my ford i did and i tightened it down too tight and every slight left i was blowin the fuse. you could actually see it spark in the column. pulled it off and tightened it down not as tight and been good ever since

Old 11-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

na i havent messed with the steering column at all. i think its shorting out on whatevers infront of the driver side battery and down kinda underneath it. i think thats the cruise control thing but im not sure. the last time i checked when it was messed up that part was clicking really bad and it didnt sound right. bbut i could be wrong.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

UPDATE. i believe i fixed the problem. there was a metal screw that had a ground wire screwed to the frame underneath the left headlight that was super loose. i took that off and spliced a little more wire to the end and went to a good secure ground. drove it for a little bit and didnt have any trouble. just fyi if someone has had a problem like this before.