24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Need your Input

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need your Input

alright well i have a 99 dodge diesel automatic that has numerous small problems with it and im not sure if i should trade it and get a newer truck or if i should try and fix the truck up. as of right now the only things that i know are wrong with it is it leaks oil out the front, im not sure if its the front seal on the crank or the timing cover, i can hear a knock on the engine but im not sure which cylinder, and i believe the tranny is startin to go bad (or the torque converter). should i cut my losses and find a better truck or breathe new life into the one iv got?? thanks for helping!

Old 10-31-2010, 02:34 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how many miles on the truck?

Old 10-31-2010, 02:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

and how much do ya got into the truck and can you afford a newer truck?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

its got around 208k miles on it and all together performance wise iv probably only got maybe.... maybe 700 bucks invested. iv had the truck a year but im in tech school right now and im not making any money to get it fixed. i was thinkin about goin back to a gaser and then gettin like an '03 or '04 6 speed in a couple of years.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

i got a buddy that would help me with the front seal all i gotta do is buy it. i can get the seal but if the thing needs a complete engine overhaul i gota move on. i could do the overhaul myself but its buying all the seals and bearings and gaskets that i cant do at the moment.

Last edited by dieselboy88; 10-31-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well either way you look at it if its got an engine knock it cant be good. I had a rod knock develope on my 350 small block chevy in my landcruiser while I was in tech school. Couldnt afford to tear down and didnt have the time between full time school and work. My small block chevy held 6 qts of oil so I changed the oil and put 4 qts of 40 wt and 2 qts of Lucas oil staibilizer. It actually took the rod knock away until the engine really started warming up. That lucas is like honey and really made a difference. I know this is not a good fix but its the cheapest temporary fix. You all know if the oils too thick then its most likely starving other important parts of the engine. It lasted the entire year like that until I completed school. Pulled the motor and rebuilt it when I had the money. The engine was not in bad shape the number 2 crank journal was not damage only the rod bearing and connecting rod. 30 bucks for the rod and 350 bucks for the rebuild kit. Keep in mind thats for a gas engine small block 350 but I wasnt about to get rid of my rig due to that problem, got too much sentimental value to me and other money invested. I would try that lucas to see if it helps. If it does great! if it does more damage to the motor.. well what do you have to loose. Good luck and hope this helps ya make a descision. Diesels are pretty poular over the years and most people want a pretty penny for em if you did sell it and have to replace it later.

Last edited by snm76; 10-31-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks and thats no lie about people wantin way to much for a diesel. i was thinkin about tryna get about 7500 out of the truck and then just bein patient and finding the right truck. automatics are alright on a diesel but i like 6 speeds way better. thanks for the input though.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

just an idea but when you get a new one maybe get one thats not so hot and that you can make into somethin for cheap. i got my 6.9 for 1k and its gettin a cummins and a new body and it will be perfect for a total under 4k

Old 10-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

well im not goin to get anything newer than an 05'. iv heard that alot of cars and trucks both have alot of electrical problems after a period of time and i dont like the idea of that. but after school i plan on workin on my truck alot more, whatever it is.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you sure its a rod knock and not just an injector going bad and causing a fuel knock?

Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Lil Red Express i really dont know. the engine itself is loud but when im driving down the road i can hear a faint knock over the engine. if thats the case id be a happy camper thats for sure. how could i go about checking the injectors?

Quick Reply: Need your Input