24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Wastegate on 02 3500 auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate on 02 3500 auto tranny

Hey what's up everyone, just wondering if I could get some help. I have a 2002 dodge cummins 3500 with an auto transmission, I have been thinking bout plugging the wastegate, I was wondering if someone could tell me how in detail and what u think of the idea. Any help is highly appreciated. Also I have been having an issue ever since I bought it, like 4 months ago, that every morning that I started up and take off, the engine won't rev up and it barely reaches 20mph, it's not after like 6+ blocks that the truck goes into normality. I have also noticed that if I keep it at a certain rpm while driving n then give it gas it stalls for a bit then accelerates, any idea what it could be? Thanks everyone

Old 10-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Masnart,

If you have a chance get a code reader hooked up to it and see if there are any codes present. A local Auto Parts store chould have one and check for you for free. Just make sure to write any codes down to look them up in detail on the forum later on.Let us know if there are any present.

oudive

Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Default Codes

Thanks for the reply oudive, actually i got it checked out on Saturday n no codes popped up, I'm just thinking the vp44 is going bad, but I really hope not, that's y I'm trying to see if someone here could help me out in pointing me in the right direction before I spend the money on the wrong part, or maybe preventing it before it gets worse. By the way I see it says u have some custom backup lights on your truck, what exactly did u do, the reason I ask is because the ones on my truck r bad n apparently replacing the bulbs didn't work, let me know man, n once again thanks

Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Welcome to DB,

In regards to the waste gate, plugging it is only advisable when you have a chip or at least a boost fooler. The ECU will defuel at 28PSI, and you should be able to make that even stock. I know I was able to with mine before the injectors, and my Edge on 0.

I strongly advise you check your fuel pressure to see what it is as. Every 24valve dodge needs a fuel pressure gauge, or at least a light. 8-10 PSI is MINIMUM at wide open throttle, and a MAXIMUM of 25 PSI at idle. The biggest killer of the injection pump is a bad lift pump.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Masnart
Hey what's up everyone, just wondering if I could get some help. I have a 2002 dodge cummins 3500 with an auto transmission, I have been thinking bout plugging the wastegate, I was wondering if someone could tell me how in detail and what u think of the idea. Any help is highly appreciated. Also I have been having an issue ever since I bought it, like 4 months ago, that every morning that I started up and take off, the engine won't rev up and it barely reaches 20mph, it's not after like 6+ blocks that the truck goes into normality. I have also noticed that if I keep it at a certain rpm while driving n then give it gas it stalls for a bit then accelerates, any idea what it could be? Thanks everyone

u can plug the wg, lots of people do. Use a zip tie,fold the wg hose and zip tie it.

The issue u are having with ur truck is because u have to let it warm up before u drive it.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM

Yeah I'm thinking of putting a fuel pressure gauge to see what is actually going on, n bout the lifter pump anything u guys recommend? N regarding the WG mine doesn't have the line to zip tie shut. Once again thanks everyone for your time

Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

As you have an auto equipped truck you have an HY35 turbo, and as you said, it doesn't have a external hose to plug. When I still had my HY I threaded a small machine screw into the elbow of the W/G tube. Removal of the W/G actuator was necessary for this. One it was threaded in I ground down the head of the machine screw so it would fit back into the compressor housing. Clear as mud? I have pictures on my computer at home, I think.

About the lift pump. You can get a Raptor or similar product from FASS or AirDog. They are entry level but better and more reliable than stock. If you plan on making bigger power later on, you might as well upgrade to a larger fuel system now. FASS 150 or AirDog2, 165

Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a Raptor 150 and love it, + it was very easy to instal.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Back Up lights

Originally Posted by Masnart
By the way I see it says u have some custom backup lights on your truck, what exactly did u do, the reason I ask is because the ones on my truck r bad n apparently replacing the bulbs didn't work, let me know man, n once again thanks
masnart,

I got the lights from my brother n law and he said they came off of some big tractor at his job. They have some ruber housing and the bulbs just pop into that housing. The ones he gave me ran off a 24v system, so I ordered replacement bulbs. He had an old bed frame, like small angle iron and I just used that as the mounts. Measured and drilled out the holes and then mounted it to my rear diff. When I first used them to back up into the driveway one night, I looked in the mirror and could tell they were on, but it was not real bright. So I stopped and rolled down both windows and looked at all angles trying to see where the hell they were pointing...LMAO I realized I did not fine tune the direction and they were beaming into my neighbors house windows....Once I got them dialed in, they are great. Got a heck of a deal on the bulbs through ebay. I got the idea from mopar1973man. Got the 3 way switch and the lights are awesome. Hope this helps.

oudive

Old 10-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 24vmatt

u can plug the wg, lots of people do. Use a zip tie,fold the wg hose and zip tie it.

The issue u are having with ur truck is because u have to let it warm up before u drive it.
if you have a factory turbo its an hy35 which has a hardline, you can put a j- hook on it, but you need a boost fooler. And it sounds like its time for a vp!