24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

boost fooler loading up

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost fooler loading up

My buddy bought a quad boost fooler, wouldnt listen to me and wait to buy a programmer hes saying its feels like its loading up on the start. And it is i rode with him and you step on it and it doesnt go anywhere. Takes twice sometimes 3 times as long for the turbo to start spooling. They said plug and play but do u need to do something to get rid of that or is it better to have a programmer with a fooler or..... im not to sure i never really looked into those so me and him both are stumped

Old 09-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I know RAWilliams said that they have been having problems with the Quadzilla boost foolers. Thats all that I know.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:56 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

True story, that is what I have heard. Do you have a boost gauge manual or electric, and a code reader. It would be interesting to see some numbers, and codes if any. After it gets rolling does it function properly?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

we didnt try plugging a reader into it but when it does get rolling, it feels like it spools a little faster and theres only about 19 pound instead of 17 pounds of boost before. Found the paperwork that came with the thing. it said for 98-04 dodge you will need to use a elbow or block on the wastegate. we tried blocking it and all that did was give us 27 pounds of boost and still loaded up. without using the fooler on a previous time blocking it we were at 25. so no difference there. back to square one should he have gone with someone else s fooler. or are they kinda a waste. not to sure on them. like i said the other day im just shooting for the programmer. i think es just scared to pony up the danero haha

Old 09-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

he should get rid of that all the way and get a box on it they boost fool anyway so when he does get one he wont need it anymore it might be he can still take it back if he just got it i have seen these foolers hit and miss i know one guy that has one on an 04 and it is nasty but the same brand on a 00 does the same it lags out bad both are cummins and both are quad foolers when i put my quad adr on mine i started getting 27-30 without blocking and i still make 32 all day long and im keeping it low all they do after 30 or 35 is blow hot anyway

Old 09-18-2010, 10:58 PM
RAW
Administrator

You could try a BD fooler, less money and I haven't heard anything bad about them. I agree that he should just pony up the dough and get a proper box. Then he gets a set of gauges as well.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I never really ever looked at foolers and from my understanding, They remap fuel, inso doing this it tricks the computer into thinking it has more fuel which in turn makes the turbo spool up higher?? Is this right or am i way off here. And are they usually plug and play or do you need to turn up the fuel pump?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 PM
RAW
Administrator

The biggest thing it does is limit the signal getting to the ECM. At 28 PSI boost the ECM cuts back the fuel. I believe they also send a reduced setting to the ECM compared to actual so the ECM will fuel harder to try and make the boost.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:52 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

All they do is fool the computer into thinking it's making less that 25psi so it doesn't cut the fueling. Has nothing to do with spoolup or lag... It just tells the computer a fake number so it keeps fueling. To take advantage of it though he will need a chip or programer so it can fuel harder than stock and get that turbo movin some air...

Old 09-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

OP,

That does not sound right at all. I would just bite the bullet and invest into something else. I would see if he could get his money back on the fooler to begin with. Then if your friend does not have gauges, then look into something like the edge Juice with attitude or what ever brand that he may fancy and go with something that had gauges and adds power. I hope that he is able to get his money back on the fooler, hell it could be something with the fooler itself that is causing the issue.

oudive

Quick Reply: boost fooler loading up