24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

FT. LBS to INCH LBS on trani adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default FT. LBS to INCH LBS on trani adjustments

Ok, im a dumb ***, my torqe wrench is ft pounds. Is there a way I can convert ft lbs to inch lbs? Lucky for my my dumb *** attack didnt fk me, but I did loosen the lock nut, and started to turn the adjustment screw. I hope im not F'd. I will never fk with my trani again! Any info would be greatly appreciated. This is my rear band adjustment screw I'm refering too, I'm changing my fluid, and thought I was gona adjust my front and rear bands. WTF was I thinkn!

Thanks
Billy D

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Divide by 12

Last edited by Billy D; 09-13-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy D
Ok, im a dumb ***, my torqe wrench is ft pounds. Is there a way I can convert ft lbs to inch lbs? Lucky for my my dumb *** attack didnt fk me, but I did loosen the lock nut, and started to turn the adjustment screw. I hope im not F'd. I will never fk with my trani again! Any info would be greatly appreciated. This is my rear band adjustment screw I'm refering too, I'm changing my fluid, and thought I was gona adjust my front and rear bands. WTF was I thinkn!

Thanks
Billy D

Divide by 12
Pretty sure you can go rent an in-lb torque wrench from local auto parts stores. Just leave a deposit and when you bring the tool back they give your money back. That's the only way you're going to be 100% accurate. Using a ft-lb wrench and converting to in-lb isn't going to be the best way to do it.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I called around, no one had one to rent, and I couldn't find one close in my area, so I buttoned it back up with new fluid n filter till I get one. Sucks, but I difnt wana F nothin up.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can use a ft. lbs. torque wrench for inch. lbs. only if your ft. lbs. goes low enough. for example if the torque spec calls for 72inch lbs, you can use a ft lb wrench at 6 ft. lbs.

its simple math. 12inch. lbs. for 1ft. lbs. so
12inch lbs = 1ft lbs
24inch lbs = 2ft lbs
300 inch lbs = 25ft lbs
etc......
hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Usually your ft lbs torque wrench is gonna be outa range for inch lbs, don't you have any mechanic buddys you could borrow one from ? I've heard of people goin to Sears and buyin a specialty tool and then returning it when done, but I would never do or condone anything like that.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tiremann9669
Usually your ft lbs torque wrench is gonna be outa range for inch lbs, don't you have any mechanic buddys you could borrow one from ? I've heard of people goin to Sears and buyin a specialty tool and then returning it when done, but I would never do or condone anything like that.
That's exactly why I recommended getting an in-lb wrench. Converting with "simple math" doesn't exactly work if the torque wrench isn't accurate down that low.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Diesel Bomber

Well if you want to come to wny you can use my inch lbs wrench

Originally Posted by Turbo Performance
That's exactly why I recommended getting an in-lb wrench. Converting with "simple math" doesn't exactly work if the torque wrench isn't accurate down that low.
I agree

Last edited by tiremann9669; 09-15-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Depending on the torque and price range, you could buy a electronic torque wrench. I have the Snap-On 3/8" version, and it reads Ft.-Lbs., In.-Lbs., and Nm. It shows live value of torque as you go, not just a click or beep. Very handy for setting preload on bearings via. rolling torque.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by RAWilliams
Depending on the torque and price range, you could buy a electronic torque wrench. I have the Snap-On 3/8" version, and it reads Ft.-Lbs., In.-Lbs., and Nm. It shows live value of torque as you go, not just a click or beep. Very handy for setting preload on bearings via. rolling torque.
I bet she comes with a nice price tag too