24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

My Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Project

Hy,

thats my 1 Post in this forum and i just will tell you i am german and my english is bad, so pleace xcute.

I am ready for the next Step up to now I have

Gauges on A pillar for boost and EGT
275 injectors
cold air intake
4" exhurst

are installt
on my 1998.5 Dodge 4x4

Now I think abaut a bigger turbo ( S300 ) , for what i schoud look and what have I to change too ?

It is my daly truck
I road that that the stock clutch will break if you put a S300 in ? to mutch HP ?

thx cw

Last edited by cwgermany; 10-22-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Well, it really depends on how you use your truck. But, yes...when upgrading the turbo, you usually have to upgrade your clutch. www.southbendclutch.com, and http://www.valairinc.com make some VERY good clutches.

Now, I see in your signature that you have a pyrometer and boost guage? Do you have a fuel pressure guage - if not, I would suggest getting one ASAP. If you dont have one, let us know and someone will explain its importance.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I think a HTT 62/71/14 would work great for you. I would also look into the valair clutches, cheap and seem to be just as nice as Southbend. Welcome by the way.

Andy

Old 10-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

For what you have I am not sure a turbo is the right path. All you have for fueling over stock are 60hp injectors. That turbo can safely handle plenty more. Consider a Smarty (www.madselectronics.com) or something like an Edge Comp (www.edgeproducts.com) first. Something with timing to help keep EGTs down and mileage up.

AS for the clutch, with a chip, like those listed, a clutch is going to be necessary if you drive it hard.

First, before anything, I would look at a FASS. With the stock lift pump in your truck, failure is just waiting to happen. That will take out your lift pump, and VP44 injection pump. Bad news.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

I agree with Diesel Nut you should look at a Edge Comp, Smarty or a Quadzilla Box. You should also upgrade your weak lift pump to a FASS Pump or a BD Kit. And everyone will agree you need a Fuel Pressure Gauge like this one http://dieseldawgs.com/product_info....342f1fa24950b8.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Diesel Fan

thx to all of you,

so far so good now i woud like to tell you where i will go.

Its a daily truck, but i woud like to go "faster" wenn i hit the gas, not the top speed ( its fast engouht )

when i hit the gas we say it need a sek then the turbo come ( i think you call it spoolup ) and then ther gears need another sek too shift, and this are 4 sek too mutch. if i drive 30 and i hit the gas it takes to long thats it.

I dont wann a go step, by step and try too figer out and spent at the end more monye as nesesery, ( wie pay a lot more here as you )

So

I need a better Fulldelivering okay Fass or some else
I need a "clutch" i have a automatik so i am not real shure what i have too change

I have too find a way to conekt may Tranny Temp Sensor ?

an the right Turbo that´s will work whitout killing the rest of the truck.

i need more gauges for Oilpressuer on the turbo line and the fuel inkl a mount.... holder ?

thx for your support

Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

No problem. Thats what these forums are all about!

You have the Automatic. Ok, so at the least you want a Valve Body upgrade. This will help the converter and internal clutches live longer and hold more power. A converter, Flexplate, and input shaft are a good idea, but require transmission removal to install. If you feel up to the challenge, a High Energy rebuild kit would be a nice addition. How many miles on teh truck?

The FASS is the best fuel supply system on the market in my opinion. Very reliable and great performance.

Turbo spool will get better with a chip or tuner. The Smarty will give pretty awesome low end fueling, and help the turbo spool up faster. The Edge Comp or Quadzilla Standard will give you a good balance of low end fueling and mid to high end power.

Transmission temp sender I like to mount in the cooler line coming out of the transmission. This will get you the correct temp at the hottest point. We have a fitting to make that easier.

Gauges, there are several ways to mount them in the cab so you can monitor anything you need. Oil pressure at the turbo is not a required gauge, but you can install one if you wish.

As for a turbo, at the power level described, I would say the BD Super B Single is the best priced, properly matched turbo for your application. From there I would look at the Paht Shaft 62/14 from Industrial Injection.

This should get you a solid 350hp, very little adverse effect on fuel economy (unless you drive it like you stole it!)

The following users liked this post:
cwgermany (10-24-2007)
Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Diesel Nut
How many miles on teh truck?

As for a turbo, at the power level described, I would say the BD Super B Single is the best priced, properly matched turbo for your application. From there I would look at the Paht Shaft 62/14 from Industrial Injection.
This should get you a solid 350hp, very little adverse effect on fuel economy (unless you drive it like you stole it!)
214000 mile now

i dont understand , i now BD Super B Single but what is a 62/14 from Industrial Injection. ?

all thogeter 350HP or you talk about +350 to the regular 200 HP vom the truck ?

thx
cw

Old 10-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

62/14 is a larger Turbo that will handle more HP than the Super B

350HP total

Old 10-26-2007, 03:08 AM
Diesel Fan
Default What says the Ad´s

Now it turn hard for me,

when i read all the Post vrom 500 to 800 HP Trucks and look to all this nice Magazins from the US it hard to find out that this is "not" real

Hypertec, Volant and and and all this compenis out ther say use our coold Air and you have 10HP more
juse samrty and ju have 55 HP more
use .. Injektors and you have 50 HP more, but how comes that i have whit the list above "just" 130 HP more as stock and need big chanches in the tranny ??

------------------------------

This is a turbo kit that will fit 94-02 Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9L turbodiesel trucks. If you are looking to replace your stock turbo than this is the kit for you. System bolts right into place for a perfect fit. This system has been dyno tested to produce up to 450 horsepower at 30 lbs of boost with mild fuel modifications. The S300 Schwitzer brand turbo is built for heavy duty use and will prove to be more reliable and durable than any other brand of turbocharger on the market. Just make sure to change your motor oil and filters!!

----------------------------------------

I belive you Folks Know it a littel better, so just (we call it Hausnummer) a
quick look on the List what ist the price for this smal modification ?

Are we talk abuot 100 $ no just kidding
around 2000 - 4000 $
or 4000 -6000$ or ifen more ???

i also need a DSS

see that´s thr reason way i come in, first hand information.
What i like to do , to find a god proformenc , whitout save Money on the Wrong place.

thanx for input

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

So again Ad´s

---------------------------------
Edge 1998.5-2000 Dodge 5.9L 24V Juice with Attitude

Level 0: Stock
Level 1: 40 Horsepower - 150 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 2: 60 Horsepower - 200 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 3: 80 Horsepower - 250 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 4: 100 Horsepower - 300 Foot Pounds of Torque
Level 5: 120 Horsepower - 350 Foot Pounds of Torque

Your Attitude monitor allows you to monitor the performance of your engine’s vital engine components and output values. The following parameters can be displayed on the main Attitude screen (maximum 4 at one time):
• Backdown %
• Voltage
• EGT (exhaust gas temp)
• Engine Coolant Temp
• Engine Fuel Pressure (pressure of the fuel “lift pump”)
• Fuel Temperature (measured in the VP44 injector pump)
• Intake Air Temp
• Engine Load % (only on later models)
• Module Temperature (internal temperature of the module)
• RPM
• Speed MPH
• Throttle %
• Transmission Temp
• Turbo Boost Pressure
• Oil Pressure
----------------------------------------

Hypertech HyperPAC for 1998.5-2002 5.9L Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
Quick and Easy Installation

Mount the HYPERpac in a convenient place, connect the cable to the vehicle's diagnostic port under the dash, and press the "power on" button.

Diagnostic port connector and sturdy suction cup mount included. Performance Tuning provides all of the features of Hypertech's Power Programmer, including powerful 50-State, street-legal Power Tuning available, plus many more adjustable features.

Drag Strip feature: A "Christmas Tree" start produces an exact duplication of a drag strip time slip: reaction times, 60 ft., 330 ft., 1/8-mile, 100 ft., and 1/4-mile speeds and e.t.'s, and displays a "magazine-type road test" in ten mile per hour increments.

Engine Monitor: The Engine Monitor Program continuously displays important engine operating conditions as analog or digital gauges.

Diagnostics

The Diagnostics program reads, explains, and clears diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's). Dynamometer: The Dynamometer program calculates horsepower and torque, at both the driving wheels and the engine with superior accuracy.

-------------------------------------

I have a Box tha show me all data´s i need or ??
just a Autometer Fuelpresure gauges allone will be 200$

nice day cu

Last edited by cwgermany; 10-26-2007 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: My Project