24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

injector pump PO216

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injector pump PO216

Just replaced injector pump 35,000 miles back, replaced fuel pump also, I am getting good fuel pressure...problem is intermittent dead pedal and some white smoke...any suggestions, thoughts, ideas???? replaced map sensor, replaced APPS ,,,,no help there...another injector pump??????? for real????? 99 dodge cummins 24V automatic

Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Have you cleared the codes?

Do you have a fuel pressure guage?

Are you sure you are supplying enough fuel to the VP-44 to lube and cool itself?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM

codes were cleared at time of replacement, just threw the PO216 code when i had it checked this morn. Yea, I hooked up a pressure guage, getting around 13 psi and at idle it stays right around 8psi...seems to be getting proper amount of fuel...it is just really baffling me...just started this dead pedal stuff about months ago and seems to be getting worse...wouldn't you think i would be showing some bad pressures or something if it one of the pumps? fuel or injector?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:06 AM
BOMBARDIER

clear the codes and see what happens

Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Blue chip diesel vp44 diagnostic help

DEAD PEDAL"

This is THE MOST COMMON DRIVABILITY COMPLAINT and is an intermittent one that happens most often when the truck is hot or working harder, but can occur much less frequently when cold too. There are no codes pertaining to “Dead Pedal” that will condemn the computer and therefore the VP44. This symptom of “Dead Pedal” is rarely caused by a faulty APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) and 99% of the time it is caused by a faulty computer on the top of VP44 injection pump. These numbers are NOT an exaggeration. The best way to positively eliminate or condemn the APPS as the cause of the problem is to “scan" or read the ECM (not the PCM) in your truck to check for any DTC codes pertaining to the APPS, such as a 121 or 122. IF YOU DON’T GET THESE CODES YOU DON’T NEED AN APPS AND IF YOU HAVE DEAD PEDAL, cold or hot, YOU DO NEED A VP44! NO MORE DIAGNOSIS NECESSARY.

If you have a 2000 – 2002 truck you can get the codes by turning the ignition switch to the on position 3 times within 5 seconds and leave it in the on position and stare at the odometer. Write down the information you get and use it for your diagnosis. You can tell what computer you are reading by the number of the code(s) you get. If it pertains to the engine or fueling, then it is the ECM and if it pertains to the rest of the truck it is the PCM. If you get a 1693 that tells you there is at least one code in the other computer. If you have a 1998-99 or a grumpy 2000 this will not work, so you’ll have to get the codes with a scan tool. Most auto parts stores will do this for free for you. A possible pitfall here is if someone turned the key on when the APPS plug was disconnected. This will set an APPS code, so if you think this could have happened, clear all the codes with a scanner, recheck for codes to be sure all codes were cleared, then drive the truck until the dead pedal symptom reoccurs and then check to see if the APPS code returns. The worst case scenario is when you replace the APPS because of the code(s) and it doesn’t solve ALL your drivability issues. Then you have a bad VP44 as well.

If you don’t have access to a scan tool, and want to trust my experience, let me explain the difference in symptoms between a bad APPS and a bad computer on the injection pump. A bad APPS usually is just a flat spot at a certain throttle opening, usually 65-70 MPH, and smacking the pedal to the floor a few times, usually clears it up. If pushing the throttle just a bit more makes it take off, or if going back to a lesser throttle opening makes the engine run fine, then it is a bad APPS. This usually occurs most frequently, but not always, in cold and or wet conditions.

If it is caused by the computer, the “Dead Pedal” occurs at all throttle positions and the computer will only reset and play again if you let the pedal go to idle for a brief time and reestablish “Idle Validation”, or push the clutch in, or shut off and restart the engine, or just wait. The “Dead Pedal” happens most often when hot or towing, but sometimes occurs right after start up when cold.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
BOMBARDIER

Nice post. But I do not trust the key on/key off trick. Use a scanner because there are some codes that will not be seen on the odometer. If you are going to own one of these trucks - spend $100 and get a scanner (or $500 and get a Smarty) - because you need to be able to read codes and clear them.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 08-23-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

The scanner i have will read/delete codes and also will show pending codes. Its a actron OBD II scan tool, model cp9180.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Diesel Fan

really great post on the dead pedal the 0216 code just popped on me and the dead pedal started so if im getting a vp44 do have to get a fass,etc?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

You dont have to but it would be a GREAT idea to. The FASS and AirDog pumps will keep your new vp44 cooler and happier.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Diesel Fan

does anyone know of a package deal where i could get the vp44 with the fass for a decent price?