24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

help need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help need help

ok guys i need some help my uncles dodge is a 99,5.9 when ur going down the road is will just go to and idle,u can clutch it an pump the pedal and get it going again,its done that several times but last week,he went to start it and it would not get above an idle he has started it 5or 6 days in a row and the same thing,now it wont start at all,and he said if it sits longer than 2 days the battery go's dead,u guys got any idea whats going on

Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Any codes? Could be APPS, failed transfer pump, or even worse the injection pump. A fuel pressure gauge at the injection pump could answer some question.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWilliams
Any codes? Could be APPS, failed transfer pump, or even worse the injection pump. A fuel pressure gauge at the injection pump could answer some question.
im going to pull some codes tomorrow,someone told me there was an update kit on the pump and etc,that moves everything to the tank,but then someone told me that the update stuff had alot of problems,anyone know anything about that

Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Yes Sir! That update is pure CRAP! Makes the situation even worse. I had that in my truck when I bought it and it provides **** poor fuel flow. For the money spent, a FASS or AirDog is a far better bang for the buck.