24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Having trans issues. Hoping you guys can help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Having trans issues. Hoping you guys can help

Hi fellas, happy Friday. I have a strange trans issue that just came up and I'm hoping it could be the Gov Pres solenoid / transducer problem. I'm also hoping my trans isn't smoked - doesn't seem like it but I'll run the symptoms past you guys and hopefully you can help me out. Fluid is pink, level is good, does not smell burnt BUT there is a small drip coming from the inspection plate that I did not notice before. I posted up on a couple other boards but didn't get a bunch of responses.

Symptoms:
When cold under normal throttle pressure, trans seems to shift normally.
As it begins to warm up, delayed shifting occurs. By this I mean I shift the shift lever from N to D or R, nothing happens for about 4-6 seconds. If I rev the engine a bit it actually shifts into gear. If I do NOT rev the engine, when it does engage, it's VERRRY slow and you can feel what seems to be gradual grabbing... to me it seems to be pressure related. When test driving, light throttle pressure seems to result in the best shifting but it shifts slowly and as soon as the gear grabs it seems to slip and then over-revs (at which point I immediately let off). If I let off the throttle a bit, it will grab and go into gear. This happens in all gears but when I shift manually, it seems fairly normal. When OD lockup happens or 3rd gear TC lockup happens, it does not slip at all. I can roll into the throttle and bring the boost up and no slip - all seems ok. Last thing - A couple times when I came to a stop, it didn't seem to downshift into 1st until I was fully stopped.

So there it is.. I tried to explain the best I can. Any ideas or advice? Does this sound like the GPS or related electrical unit? I'm going to drop the pan tonight after work to see if there's metal in there. Hopefull there's just the normal shavings/fur on the magnet and no chunks but we'll see.

Thanks very much for the help.

Mike

Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Sounds like the soleniods are sticking.This is what I would do order this....ElectricalAdvantage.Net - Specialty Automotive Components - Search

Take the valve body off and clean the valve body install the new "RE" Solenoid Master Kit 96 to 99 (note you will have to take the VB down to get to the large plug above the VB).Adjust the bands.One is inside the pan and the other is on the outside of the case.Add new fluid and enjoy...

The drip that is coming from the inspection plate.Open the plate up and make sure it is either Trans fluid or oil.Clean out the case and see if it comes back.

Last edited by turbo20psi; 08-06-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the reply. You think I could get away with the GPS and sensor transducer guys? I guess that would depend on what shape they're in when I drop the pan, eh?

Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Diesel Bomber

See what Kind of shape they are in.Don't see why not but you are going to be in there to change it,you dont want to do it again.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Diesel Fan

Very true. Any idea on a food source for the various cable adjustments?

Old 08-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Diesel Bomber

You mean band adjustments?

Front Band
47RE - tighten band adj. screw to 72 inch pounds, back off 1 7/8 turns
42 RE - The final adjustment for the front band has been changed to:
back off 3 turns. (TSB 21-16-98)
Rear Band
47RE - tighten band adj. screw to 72 inch pounds, back off 3 turns
The 47RH rear band requires a 1/4" hex driver, the front band requires a T-30 Torx driver, the filter is held in place by two screws which require a T-20 Torx driver

http://www.atsdiesel.com/additionali...ent%20v1.0.pdf

Old 08-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

sounds like tnhe pump is goin out but it might be a pressure issue do you have anyway to check for temporary codes like with a snap on scanner or watch the read outs when driving

Old 08-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the adjustment info!

12v - I don't think so. I only have the standard OBDII code reader. No codes show up on that. I figure I'll change out the GPS and sensor and hope for the best.

Last edited by MikeyM; 08-07-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like the torque converter is draining back.....

Old 08-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Hmmm indeed. If so isn't there a TC anti drainback valve somewhere?

Quick Reply: Having trans issues. Hoping you guys can help