24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Engine Idles Itself Up While Letting Out The Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Idles Itself Up While Letting Out The Clutch

Ok its hard to explain.
When im pulling forward a little bit and push in the clutch it will rev itself up without touching the accelerator.

if i let it out slowly it will start fueling and go faster than i want. It seems like it wont let itself bog down and makes it a pain to drive in traffic or a parking lot. It did this before the injectors and with the comp on or off.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shilo
Ok its hard to explain.
When im pulling forward a little bit and push in the clutch it will rev itself up without touching the accelerator.

if i let it out slowly it will start fueling and go faster than i want. It seems like it wont let itself bog down and makes it a pain to drive in traffic or a parking lot. It did this before the injectors and with the comp on or off.
that is an anti-stall feature built into the ECM, it will be worse with the injectors.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Diesel Fan

can i program it out somehow? I HATE it.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shilo
can i program it out somehow? I HATE it.
a programmer MIGHT be able to get rid of it but I doubt it.
I actually like the anti stall, it lets me start out in second w/o touching the throttle. my 3rd gen has a lot softer fueling anti-stall and I wish it was more like the second gen I had. You can get the truck to move w/o activating the anti stall by feathering the clutch more, at least I know I could.

based on you sig you probably have an aftermarket clutch, which one do you have?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:16 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Welcome to the electronic fuel injection system. If you really pay attention while your backin up. When you let the cutch out it seemslike your movin along kinda fast but after it has been out for a few seconds the truck slows down. This really screws with people tryin to learn how to back trailers. They get scared to let the clutch all the way out cause it seems to fast and you can't convince em that you just gotta go for it and it will slow down. So intsead they ride the clutch the whole way.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Diesel Fan

I still got the factory clutch. Fixin on gettin a SB Con ofe. I dont like the anti stall feature. It seems like im burning the clutch while in traffic. Oh well i guess.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:49 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

If you want to save some hard earned money...look at Valair Clutch:

http://www.valairinc.com/

Nothing against Southbend - its top notch stuff.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
If you want to save some hard earned money...look at Valair Clutch:

http://www.valairinc.com/

Nothing against South bend - its top notch stuff.
bought a kit from them today, with new flywheel , $ 731.00 shipped , 1 year warranty kit # NMU70279-02 rated HP 500- T 1000.

30% less than Big name competition, could not see the point at paying for a name.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:30 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

If remember right this Valairinc was started by somebody that was involved with Southbend and their stuff is almost identical, just a new company that still hasn't earned the reputation.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Diesel Fan

wow. im gonna get one of them most likely. is there any benefit to getting a new flywheel as opposed to resurfacing the factory? Like weights or ratings.

Quick Reply: Engine Idles Itself Up While Letting Out The Clutch