24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

99 Dead Clutch Pedal and fluid is all leaked out, Far from home. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Dead Clutch Pedal and fluid is all leaked out, Far from home. What to do?

I was driving on the interstate and pulled into a gas staion. I had to rip it out of gear to stop the truck. Clutch pedal is dead. Recently (2 months) I changed the salve cylinder and think the master is bad now. after replacing the master the pedal still feels empty.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Diesel Fan

throw out bearing?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

ALL the air will have to be bled out, it can be a tricky process.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like air to me

Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 AM

Im by myself so i cant have anyone pump the pedal while i crack the line. I guess i'llhave to take it off and work on it off the truck. Is it possible to remove master, slave with resorvor and lines all atached together as an assembly and then install after i bleading it?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Are there any alternatives to this system? Can I use a master, slave and line from a differnet vehicle that has regular bleed bolts? anything aftermarket for this?

Last edited by whydrivestock; 07-17-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-17-2010, 10:12 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

It is possible to bled by your self with the help of a stick the proper length. I have had to do it on equipment in the field when there are no operators around. Pump the clutch up, install the stick between the pedal and seat, crank the bled screw, repeat. It's a bear of a process, but it can get you to your goal.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the slave is stock then there is no bled screw When i replaced my tranny I had to take the master, slave and all out as one unit. Once out, I arranged the lines so that the over-flow reservoir was at the highest point and pushed the slave pin a bunch of times. (careful not to let it fall out) Once all the air was out then I just put it all back in, which was a little tricky but you can do it.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Diesel Fan

I just went through this problem with mine. I went to Dodge dealershop and bought pre-filled and pre-primed kit that includes slave cylinder and master cylinder and replaced all at one time. Twenty minute job and all works well now. Feels like new truck. Cost $240.00. Good luck to you sir.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

to bleed the stock junk, I learned a neat little trick on my 85 ford that had similar stock junk.

take your slave cylinder off and take your line off of your master. use it like a syringe and a straw, and have a little patience. use your hose to stick in your bottle of fluid, having someone hold it from spilling is a must. squeeze all of the air out of your slave and let your line pick up fluid from your bottle. do this slowly as hydraulic fluids all like to pick up air, and repeat this several times while always keeping your slave vertical to let the air get to the line. when putting it back in, attach your line to your master first and remove your reservoir cap before compressing your slave against your clutch.... this has worked on every clutch I have encountered so far, even when the book says it cannot be done, and thats exactly what the books all say. good luck

Old 06-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can get the intire set up for 120 shipped.. but yes u can take off and bleed urself