24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

New transmission down again!!! 3rd time!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New transmission down again!!! 3rd time!

ok well i get my new tranny put back in my truck on wed , i drove it to work on thur back home then drove fri to work after work i stoped to get a drink and shut my truck off run inside fired my truck up and had no movement at all! it was like the truck not in gear so i got it towed to the shop that put it and went there today and still wouldnt move when we started it but after he reved it up a couple hundred rpms and the truck jumped forword. at that point i had all my gears back we jumped in the truck and drove it about ten miles and it ran great and shifted great. anyone have any idea of what it might be? its still at the shop and they are going to pull the pan on mon just didnt know if anyone has heard of this thanks

Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Gov Pressure Sensor maybe?

Old 06-26-2010, 07:26 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I know that my truck won't move until its been running for at least 10 seconds or so. If I jump in, fire it up, and put it in gear right away it takes a while before you can feel the torque being transfered to the drive train. After that 10 seconds it never does it again until the next start up. Doubt that helps, but thats how mine acts.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Air in the valvebody, pressure sensor or Governor Pressure Solenoid.Neither like air dont write the shop off yet.Drive it for a week or two to see what happens.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

i really cant drive it aroud for a couple weeks the truck left me sitting half out of a parking spot at a gas station blocking the pumps an hour from home so the tow bill really sucked.. how so i get the air out if thats what it is

Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Start it up.Put in all the gears ,R,N,D,1,2,3 then back to N.Drive it if it moves.Now check the trans fluid when it is at operation temp.Put it in all the gears again.Make sure it is engaging in all the gears.If the trans fluid is low add some.Did you check the level of the fluid at the gas station?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yes i did and it was good, the thing is the truck drove fine the first almost 200 miles then once we got it going on sat it drove fine and fluid was good right where it should be, know anyone looking for a 99 red cummins with so extra power and a new tranny

Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM

you should check the harness on top of the transmission before it plugs into the transmission. I had so many problems with my truck and the mechanic could not figure it out. Test the connection first. if it is bad cut out that harness and connect the 2 wires together and wrap it up with shrink tape. It solved my problem. My governer pressure sensors were messing up. It was causing my truck to not shift right and lag it to get into gear. my dads 95 had a similar problem. he connected the wires and it solved his problems.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWilliams
I know that my truck won't move until its been running for at least 10 seconds or so. If I jump in, fire it up, and put it in gear right away it takes a while before you can feel the torque being transfered to the drive train. After that 10 seconds it never does it again until the next start up. Doubt that helps, but thats how mine acts.
Mine does the same

Quick Reply: New transmission down again!!! 3rd time!