24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cooling problems????

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling problems????

I tow a 10000 lb camp trailer all year long but only in the summer when it's hot (obviously) my truck gets hot too! I have a few performance mods but nothing nasty. I'm looking for cooling system mods and advice (specifically a radiator upgrade). I've replaced the fan clutch, water pump, and a 180 degree thermostat but still can't seem to keep the truck cool while pulling grades. I realize hills+weight+power=heat but if there's anyone who had done any successful mods then please fill me in!!! Also thought about hood vents?????? Thanks

Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What does your radiator look like? If you still have the crankcase breather can on the front of the block, the fan likes to fling that all over and plug up the radiator fins.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Diesel Fan
Default cooling

Radiator looks okay, not perfectly clean but not full of grit. Looks like you tow an rv, do you have any issues? just trying to see if this is a common prob???

Old 05-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I've never had any problems with my truck running hot. Even in the summer pulling a Cat 279C skidloader when it's 90 something degrees outside, my truck will just barely go over 190. Never anymore than that.
I bet hood vents would make a big difference. Never used them myself though.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Diesel Fan

yeah, they worked for me in the past on a jeep but if there is a problem somewhere I don't want to band-aid it!!! thanks I'll dig a little deeper and see if I can find anything.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I,m having some heat issues also got my truck up to about 210 last week pulling my rv but some have told me that,s normal as long as it cools back down quickly. i also would like to keep it a little cooler so if you find a good solution please post again thanks Boondockers

Old 05-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

what are your temps running at? what rpm are you running at when you have the heat issue? How high are your egts? All these things play into it. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on the truck? Are you still running a stock lift pump? Like mentioned before is the catch bottle coating the back of your radiator with oil? Have you had the cooling system flushed?
I hauled a 30' gooseneck 3 horse trailer around all summer before I went crazy with my truck and she sold the horses with out issue. The grade before my house is 9%.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I Dont think 210 is really that hot for These Cummins Engines ??? How old is the coolant in your engines Check It make sure its still in good shape if worse comes to worse Completly flush system and put new coolant in it mabey try Evans Waterless coolant But You should never need Hood vents to keep it from over heating Theres defenatly something wrong is your Gauge Reading correct??

Old 05-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Diesel Fan

Gauge reading is correct, most of the time it gets hot only while pulling hills but if it's hot outside (95+) it will run at 210 and up just pulling the trailer on a flat highway. If I keep it over 55mph it's manageable but I still don't like to see it running over 220-230. Seems like the cooling system is stable just hotter than it should be, there are no temp spikes at any point other than steep hills. It may just be an internal blockage in the radiator??? Mind you this is only happening while towing the rv.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you could look into putin an oil cooler on ur pickup i know the strokers have one in the future im going to get one for my pickup u might look into to it

Quick Reply: Cooling problems????