24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Any Lawyers around here with some legal advice about a trans. builder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Lawyers around here with some legal advice about a trans. builder?

Heres the scoop; In Nov. of 09 I got a new trans. installed from a place that said they did perf. Cummins transmissions. Maybe a few weeks of driving pretty gingerly it started having problems. Unfortunately, I am just now getting around to taking my truck 2 hours north to drop it off. So I called today and one of the guys said they are closing shop on Friday. They are not going to install it and the guy is jerking me around and won't talk to me on the phone. I paid 3,800 dollars for this trans. Is there any legal ground I have in this matter?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Aaron
Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I am not an attorney but was it a brand name or was it something this shop just fabbed up?

I would think that if they are closing on Friday you won't get anywhere unless the business is a sole proprietorship and then you can file suit on him in your county small claims court. If it is a corporation then he is personally protected, unless you want to pay an attorney more then the cost of the transmission to try to break the corporate umbrella protection that they think they have.

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I am an attorney and although I can't offer you specific legal advice because this isn't my area of practice and I'm only licensed in the state of Idaho, you are probably looking at small claims. Usually anything less than $5K in damages goes through a small claims proceeding but every jurisdiction handles this differently so you'd need to investigate how your state does this. Lawyers are expensive and it may be that even if you obtain a judgement against this guy (e.g., win your case in court) he may not have any assets to satisfy it (meaning you still lose) and you'd still be stuck with paying your lawyer fees. That said, most legit lawyers will usually consult with you for free to determine if you have a case. If you don't know a lawyer personally or through your network of contacts, just call up a few lawyers through the yellow pages in your area and start asking questions.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your state for the buerrow of automotive regulation and file a complante. and if you have a good complante they will medeate the claim for free.but you need to have all yuor paperwork in order.:

Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Also the Better Business Bureau

Old 05-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Diesel Fan

They are not one of the big brands. This is a company out of tampaFl. They are a little under 2 hours north of me. The owners name is Scott yaslow and all of the business names I have found to date are tranz parts, best deal, value trans, great trans, one time transmissions. I listed all this so hopefully when someone does a search to get info on this guy stay will steer away. All they do is lie, he will not put the heavy duty parts in that you request and pay for except the trans because you can at least get to that easily.

I went up there yesterday hopefully to see him there, but all that was there were 2 of his employees that it appears he had not paid for weeks although he kept telling them he would. I told the guys there I was "needing another replacement trans" seeing how the owner knew I was needing mine warrantied but failed to mention he was being forced to close his doors the very next day. So he had one on there but I was hoping Scott Yaslow would show up so I could get him to get me a triple disc torque converter he owed me besides the tranny. After an hour and a half of his guys calling him with no avail one of his guys decided to be done with him and needless to say the transmission suddenly appeared in the bed of my truck. The
land owner is suing him for back rent and aiming at his inventory for reimbursement and the epc is shutting him down on the 14th I had no choice.
I had to buy another triple disc. T.C. but oh well it's better than paying 4 grand for another tranny. I will post back on how this new trans runs once I get it
in adjusted. Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited by jshaw214; 05-16-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Last edited by FastCR; 05-16-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Old 05-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by FastCR
I would edit that post and say his employee told you to take the trans.
Thanks, now your going to have to edit yours to get rid of all evidence.