24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Finished Converting my Dually to a single wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i wanna make mine dually!!!! anyone have the front wheel adpaters and i heard you can just use dually wheel on the rear of a single wheel?

Old 05-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may do the same thing on my flatbed, will be easier i suppose.
I will be doing this for better performance in snow, and for the potential for better mpg.
I guess I'll save some bucks on tires, I know I'll lose the ability to tow some big *** things, but thats not what this 2002 4x4 2500 manual 5 speed diesel flatbed will be used for anymore.
MY QUESTION TO YOU: HAS YOUR MPG REALLY BECOME Much BETTER given similar driving situations your conversion is the perfect test case if you have done no other odds. Blind me with your science. There is a similar thread where I will be posting my results. search my handle for further updates.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 PM

3500 that is, now trying to figure if there is a way I can use my dually wheels as singles on the back.
Remove the spacers up front and use them on the back with no inner tires perhaps?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

3500 that is, now trying to figure if there is a way I can use my dually wheels as singles on the back.
Remove the spacers up front and use them on the back with no inner tires perhaps?

Last edited by wyocoyote; 07-08-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to go to a single in the rear too but I want to keep the dually bed. I want one big tire and rim. Anybody seen this before?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Smittyloopster
The axle in the back does not need to be changed.. It is only 2" wider than a standard axle. You will never know the differance. The front adaptor is simpley bolted on and has the same lug bolt pattern. You remove it and put you new wheels on. The bed can be a used bed that's what I used. I would say try and find a diesel bed because if not you will have to buy a new fuel nozzle. The bed is attached to the frame by 8 bolts and the standard "single wheel" bed attaches in the same holes.. I had an 01 that I did the swap on its not to bad
If the back wheels will stick out more could you put wheel spacers on the front to make it match the back?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SHIFTNGEARS
If the back wheels will stick out more could you put wheel spacers on the front to make it match the back?
It's only an inch on each side. You will never know it. Trust me.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by firstdiesel
Just wanted to share pics of how i changed it to a single wheel. It was not hard at all, just change the bed and take the front hubs off and put regular wheels on. People always told me that the rear wheels would stick out about an inch in both sides, they always have drum in the rear. I guess it made a difference from having disc in the rear beacuse i cant tell the difference.

From selling the old bed and wheels paid for the conversion.

Everyone asked WHY??? And i said because I WANT TO!!!!
What do you remove to change Dually to Single?