24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Valve Body Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Valve Body Replacment

i am wondering how much trouble is it to change the valve body out on a 47re i am having some tranny problems and am going to a tranny shop monday and im almost certain he is gonna tell me its the valve body or the solenoid i am gonna get an ats replacment so im wondering if this is something that i can do or should i leave it to my tranny guy i am decent witha wrench but have never messed with a auto but this seems fairly str8 forward does a hanes manual go into detail on this or where is a good breakdown of this any ideas or any comments from someone who has done this

Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Most VB's will come with instructions. Its not a bad job if you have a lift. Ive done 1 on the ground and thats not so fun.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok sounds good i have a lift i just need to know that if i get a vb from ats it would come with instructions i would hate to pay someone 500bucks or more for something that i can do i figured it would not be so bad but like i said i have never messed with an auto trans before i guess you say they are intimidating to me but i guess i just have to take a xanax and get over the anxiety of it and go in ***** deep on this slushbox

Old 04-03-2010, 09:25 PM

I'm not sure what the ATS comes with cause I don't really care for there trans stuff. I usually stick with Suncoast, DTT, BD or Georand Bros.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

so your recomendation is not ats don't you sell stuff and if you do i think i have got prices from you i am thinking i am looking for a complete vb kit with all solenoids for street performance and towing ats price is 520 plus 200 refundable core if you do sell these pm me some prices on the best you got i am heading toward 600hp very soon so if you do sell pm me a complete vb kit electronics and all for the best you recommend or what you yourself use i have heard good of suncoast and georand and of course bd

Old 04-03-2010, 10:57 PM

I would do a VB and TC at the same time. Stock TC's are junk.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

i think my tc is fine but i do agree that they have some week spots and for the hp that i am after i know it wont handle it if my trans guy tells me its the valve body im gonna just replace it and put off anymore upgrades until winter i just droped 9 grand on a new scag so another 3 or 4 on a good trans would kill me i hope that a 600dollar vb can get me back to where i can pull my trailer and after a good summer of mowing plus working in the powerhouse management i should have my mower paid back into my bank account and then i will be investing in a proper trans and hopefully have an extra valvebody like i said i am almost certain thats what it is every gear i have is perfect besides first

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

so i reset my pcm this morning and took it for a spin i did notice that its not as bad as it was yesterday before i changed my fluid but its still there so i guess im off to the tranny shop tom

Last edited by DobermanDiesels; 04-04-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

the t/c is junk on them i would relace it you can get a goerend for about 1400 bucks thats what i would do

Old 04-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

stock tc's are junk but if its working for now you could put the vb in for now and wait a while with the tc, i dont know that much about autos but i think that the vb does put more line pressure on the tc, but if ya got the money i would just replace them both, and check your bands while your in there

Old 04-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yea my tc is fine i just chunked 9 grand in a new scag mower and i need to recoup that this summer i will throw a vb in it not sure what brand yet but come winter i will prolly put a complete tranny in it something nice i mean i know that i have to have one to make some real power i want to get it to 600hp and i will be happy but i am also planning on a mega cab next spring on the business account so then my 01 will strickly be my mowing truck know its both business and pleasure but its a nice truck silver with black leather extended cab and power everything i always have been a chevy guy but i took a chance and went with this cummins and just like when i swithced from hutsler mowers to scag even though hustler a great mower the scag is a whole lot more of a mower for me at least....to each is own but i just get this pesky trans fixed what do yall recommend as far a a good valve body at whatever vlave body i end up with if its good i will end up with that trans such as ats Georand etc... so what do you guys say anybody running a valvebody and what should i get.... i will be buying one this week so please help my gut tells me ats but i am hearing that they are over rated another guy said the georand or a bd but like i said i will prolly end up with the same transmission as the vb i get and then i will have an extra vb

Quick Reply: Valve Body Replacment