24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Suspected VP44 Failure-Would like verification

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspected VP44 Failure-Would like verification

Hello All, I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 4X4 long bed with 190K miles. Totally stock until a couple of weeks ago. I have had NO problems with the fuel system in the entire 190K miles. It died on the way to work. A couple of chugs then instant death! We brought it home and I started research as to what might be the cause. We tested the lift pump and got NO output after the filter. I decided that at a minimum, it was time for a new lift pump. I bought an Air Dog Raptor 100 and a fuel gauge and installed them. We bled the injectors and got the engine running. It ran fine so we restarted a few times and took it for a short spin (4-5 miles). Brought it back and talked as it idled for a couple of minutes then pulled back in the shop to fix a small fuel leak. We tightened the fittings and attempted to restart and it would not start. We thought that it might have lost it's prime so we attempted to bleed the injectors at the head again and we got NO fuel at the head EXCEPT at #4. After it failed to start the Check Engine Light came on. It never had before. We checked and it threw ONLY a P1693. We suspect that the pump is bad but would like to hear some verification from someone with more experience than we do that it is bad. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by central_texan; 03-07-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

If your not getting any fuel to the fuel lines then its the VP44.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:12 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

How are you checking codes?

You waited far too long to install the new lift pump and pressure guage. Once you run without any fuel pressure, in most cases, its too late to put in a new lift pump. As Luke already said, a cracked injector with no fuel coming out is a telltale sign of a dead Injector Pump. Its time for a new VP.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 03-08-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 04-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by central_texan
Hello All, I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 4X4 long bed with 190K miles. Totally stock until a couple of weeks ago. I have had NO problems with the fuel system in the entire 190K miles. It died on the way to work. A couple of chugs then instant death! We brought it home and I started research as to what might be the cause. We tested the lift pump and got NO output after the filter. I decided that at a minimum, it was time for a new lift pump. I bought an Air Dog Raptor 100 and a fuel gauge and installed them. We bled the injectors and got the engine running. It ran fine so we restarted a few times and took it for a short spin (4-5 miles). Brought it back and talked as it idled for a couple of minutes then pulled back in the shop to fix a small fuel leak. We tightened the fittings and attempted to restart and it would not start. We thought that it might have lost it's prime so we attempted to bleed the injectors at the head again and we got NO fuel at the head EXCEPT at #4. After it failed to start the Check Engine Light came on. It never had before. We checked and it threw ONLY a P1693. We suspect that the pump is bad but would like to hear some verification from someone with more experience than we do that it is bad. Thanks in advance!

sounds like u got a good truck if u aint had no fuel system problems until now with 190k. i work at a dodge dealership on dodge diesels and also i own a 1999 3500 that has a few modifications. first off the p1693 is jus a code that will say dtc detected in the pcm, which normally doesnt mean anything. that code has been in my truck ever since i bought it 80k miles ago and i tried clearing it with a dealership scan tool and it hasnt cleared. the most common problems with the 98.5-02 24v diesels is the lift pumps goin out because of poor design, and even if the factory lift pump goes out the truck can still run because the injection pump can pull enough fuel to run the truck, but since the injection pump is cooled by the fuel being pumped through it, when the lift pump goes out the injection pump starts to over heat and causing the rotary valve inside the injection pump to eventually sieze. since ur only gettin fuel out of one fuel line at the head, then most likely the injection pump is bad.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Old 04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ya thats good if you made it 190 with out any i bought my 01 with 158k on it they said the fuel system inclding injectors had just been replaced it was all stock i got 25mpg drivin the 300 miles home straight piped it put bigger tireon it the mileage went to sh*t then late one night 4 months after i bought it it did the same thing chugged then died put fuel in it the next day no pressure afer the filter lift pump went and took the vp with it put a fass system on it and stock reman vp and the only problems its had since wa fitting leakin difinitly need to replace the vp. if it were me i would replace it with a ho vp mine is standard i just thought i would add that they got remaned ho vps at xtremediesel.com

Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

We have some nice VP44's with new electronics for a great price.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently looking into replacing my VP44. chip at Blue chip diesels helped me diagnose mine. From everything ive read on here though DO NOT go with a HO pump the SO's are much better bases for building reliable power. Most guys running HO's try and switch to SO's if their's die. Just my $0.02

Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but can you put a SO VP on an HO cummins?

Quick Reply: Suspected VP44 Failure-Would like verification