24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

NEED HELP PS/HYDROBOOST

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP PS/HYDROBOOST

I replaced my power steering pump today with PSC high pressure pump, steering brace, and added their heat sink cooler also. I filled the cooler with as much oil as i could get in it before mounting it below the resevoir. I bled the system several times but could not get any power asssist at all from the pump. With the wheels off the ground the steering is still very stiff and it takes both hands to move the steering wheel left to right & right to left. I followed PSC's instructions on bleeding the system and still no power assist. Also, my brake pedal is impossible to push down. I can not pump it at all. I have changed out the power steering pump out twice before and no problems like this. I have disconnected the return from the hydroboost to the steering gear and i get a small stream of fluid with very little pressure. I have also disconnected the pressure side of the ps pump to the hydroboost and and I get plenty of spray indicating pressure. I am at a loss here and PSC is closed till Monday. i have gone thru 2 gallons of Valvoline PS fluid, its starting to get a little pricey. Could this be a bad ps pump from PSC or a bad hydroboost. Before I replaced these parts the PS pump worked ok and my brakes worked great. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Travis __________________
2002 CTD LWB EXTC, T409 Motoblue 4" exhaust, Auto meter gauges(Boost, Tranny, lift pump, & EGT),Smarty SO3 Programmer, FASS 150/95

Old 03-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i had a ps problem replaced the ps pump works a little better but still a stiff wheel tto i was told the vacum pump in front of the ps pump is what causing my problem because it involves the steering and brakes so u might want to look at the vacum pump im not shure how to check it i replaced mine with a reman and worksd great great steering and braking again