24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Anyone else sick of auto transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Anyone else sick of auto transmissions?

OK, here we go... Once is started adding horsepower to the truck, the stock tranny started slippin so i bought a built one from performace innovations in NC. Heres the specs:

Every Performance Innovations transmission is hand cleaned, blueprinted, assembled and tested to proper specifications. Every transmission is hydraulic tested after final assembly and securely packed for shipping.

- All transmissions are fully rebuilt and all clearances checked to factory or better specifications
- All gaskets, seals, steels, frictions and electronics are replaced
- Rear lube passages drilled to prevent gear-train failure
- Kevlar Heavy Duty Bands
- New OEM Governor Solenoid and Transducer as well as speed sensor and shift solenoids
- Higher clutch count in the direct drum and OD clutches for 50% more holding power!
- 4 forward, 6 direct, 10 OD direct, 6 OD clutches
- High energy red eagle clutches, kolene steels and kevlar heavy duty bands
- Billet band servo, cover and apply lever
- "Unbreakable" band strut
- Custom Valve body for more holding power, higher line pressure, smoother/quicker shifts, cooler flow modifications
- Transmission circulates fluid through the cooler in Park (a must for trucks left idling after racing or heavy pulls)
- Billet cover single stage torque converter!!!

Included is out Precision Heavy Duty Billet Torque Converter. (multiple disc upgrade available)

Our transmissions and converters both come with a 3 year/100k mile warranty and we stand behind our work!!

SO!!!! i bought this thing and threw it in. Put around 800 miles on it and for whatever reason it quit moving. Drive felt like neutral. So i sent performance innovations my valve body and he tested it. He put new transducer and gov. pressure solenoid in it, sent it back to me. I put it in today. The truck moves now. It initially felt like it was shifting fine on my short test run, but then it started not shifting out of first, and when it did shift out of first it was shifting very late. So i did some TV cable adjusting and it doesnt seem to be changing anything... ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

I've never heard of them. FWIW, probably shoulda gone with a different manufacturer. I'd say stay on their *** till they get it fixed.
And autos are cool. Wish I had one.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Sure you have enought ATF in it?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

NV5600 swap and be done with it...

But yeah, stay on em till its right, especially since its still a new trans.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

once you get one done proper you will love the auto. just had the local shop go back through my auto. They did not do it the first time. The converter was the biggest issue for me. But now running on the highway the trans temp out of my converter runs at 120-150 all day long. Just drove from redding to wittmann az for the nhrda race, and am now in nm with no issues. Was able to pull 22.26 running 60 while following the dyno down the highway. Worst mileage on the trip so far is 16.8 running 82 with a head wind.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

we run autos in sled pulling here. if built right they work good.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

You may need a VOLTAGE REGULATOR KW5540 from DTT.Sometimes when you increse the line pressure (performance valve body)the truck will sense that and go on to limp mode (start out in second gear).Might want to try it.My 01 and 02 did the samething.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

yes had the same problem too get the vba

Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just ordered one of there transmissions today....... have you found the problem yet?????? now im scared i just made a mistake a very costly one hope now tho

Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Well since the first post in this thread, the tranny was sent back down to him for a complete 2nd rebuild. He seems to be very good about his warranty which is 3yr 100,000 miles. He gave me no troubles and i thank him for that. I just recieved the new transmission yesterday, and it should be in soon. Ill let you guys know how it works. nyredcummins, just make sure that you flush the system VERY well before using the new tranny. If you are not doing the install yourself use a very reputable trans shop with the right equipment. He says that he very rarely has to honor his warranty, and that there is very rarely ever a problem... I dont know if i just got a bum unit or what, all i know is my truck has been out of service for 2 months now...

Quick Reply: Anyone else sick of auto transmissions?