24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

help!! auto tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help!! auto tranny problem

hello all!! i have a 99 4x4 that will not shift into 1st, overdrive, or lock-up.

one day i was drivin along and all of a sudden my trans temp idiot light came on and kicked me outa overdrive and lockup. then when i came to a stop i didnt have first either. so im drivin around like its in limp mode. i know the tranny isnt hot cuz i have the edge attitude module on it and it was only at 132 degrees when this happened. so i disconnected the pcm for a couple days and it fixed itself for about a day then it did it again. i ordered a new pcm and put it in, it doesnt flash me all kinds of idiot lights any more but i still dont have any gears. i had them when it was cold but when it gets to operating temp i lose them again. but just today it doesnt matter what i do now it just wont give me my gears back, cold,warm, disconnect the batteries, nothin, could the TPS screw the tranny up that badly? any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

might be a silanoid in the tranny. Mine would start off in second for a while and the stealership put in a new transducer and cleaned the valve body. fixed her right up.

hope this helps

Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, you might be right. i just put a different TPS on it today off of another engine i have layin on my garage floor. it didnt change anything but it did get rid of some TPS codes i had in the computer. the only thing i can really think of is the solenoids in the valve body. which is wierd cuz the whole tranny is still kinda new from jasper. has only 50,000 on it. ill proly order a valve body from BD. it will probably need it cuz i drive this truck like i stole it and pull things constantly.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I havent had much luck with Jaspers products, but it could have just been me. Good luck with the fix.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I actually have a similar problem right now .... Not quite the same but similar. I was headed home 2 nights ago and it felt like the trans was slipping into neutral, or just slipping in general. I have 739 miles on this trans rebuild, but have never had a problem this point. So i decided to stop and put the truck into park, sit for a few seconds and try it again. Put it into drive and what do ya know. Now i cant even move at all. So i shut the truck down, sat for a few minutes and started it up. Put it into drive right away, and it clunked in, but i only had first gear, and after maybe 200 yards, it started to do the same thing and i had to repeat the process. It seems like if you shut the truck off and let sit for 30 seconds and start it back up you can briefly move the truck. If you start it and let it run for 30 seconds and then try drive, you might as well be trying to move in neutral. So good ol AAA flatbedded it down to the tranny shop where it currently sits about 2 ft from the side of the road ready to get side swiped The guy that built the tranny is sending me a new rebuilt valve body sometime soon. Im gonna try that. I did throw my solus scanner on the truck and it came up with codes that seemed to be associated with the TCC lockup switch, but that thing has been in there forever and never posed a problem. I disconnected it and replaced the trans solenoid at the fuse box, cleared the codes and scanned it again with no codes present. Sound like a valve body to anyone? or is there something yall can think of that im missing...

Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Sounds like its time for a complete rebuild.