24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

24 valve hard starts

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24 valve hard starts

I just read an old post about a 24 valve with hard starts. I am experiencing the same trouble. I am ignorant to quite a bit of the lingo that you guys use on here, but I would love some help. Here is a history of my problems..... I can go out first thing in the morning, cold or not (Texas cold anyway) and the truck will crank up, no problem. After a day of running it, I can shut it down and it will not start after it's been sitting for more than about 10 min. However, for the first few minutes after i kill it, it will crank right back up. The wierd thing is that I can roll start it and it fires right off. There are no problems while driving whatsoever. I have had pressure checked to the fuel rail. Lots of pressure and no air. I have a FASS fuel delivery system and it is humming like a champ. The batteries are less than 3 months old. I am grateful for any and all advice you may have.....

Read more: https://www.dieselbombers.com/privat...#ixzz0fCB8satS

Old 02-10-2010, 10:40 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...ard-start.html check this out should help and welcome to diesel bombers and if you get a chance read this also https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...dly-wrong.html

Last edited by ArizonaRedneck; 02-10-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 AM

It doesn't throw any white smoke at all. Nothing seems out of place, it just won't start. First thing in the morning it cranks right up and runs fine all day; just so long as I don't kill it......

Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd check out the 2nd article that ArizonaRedneck posted - I read it, and it really seems like you've got a problem almost exactly like the one explained there... from that thread there is another link out to another thread.. anyway, it's a good read, and it sounds like that might be your problem.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 AM

I also forgot to mention that we scanned it, no codes popped up.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:16 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

How did you scan it?

Do you have a fuel pressure guage? If so, what is your fuel pressure at wide open throttle? If not, you better get with it. Im not sure what fuel rail your talking about - your truck doesnt have one unless youve swapped in a common rail engine.

Sounds very much like a dying VP-44. Lets hope not.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 02-11-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Sorry, used wrong terminology. I'll try to just stick to parts I know for sure. We checked pressure at the injector pump. No air and plenty of fuel. I will have a fuel pressure gauge on it today. The truck is completely stock except for the Fass fuel pump. I added it about to years ago after hearing about the problems with the stock one. Thanks for all of your advice. I had a mechanic scan it. Plugged a computer up to the truck.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 AM
BOMBARDIER

ok,

Checking pressure with the truck running means nothing. You must check the pressure at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) as I already mentioned.

Im not saying this is your problem but it is possible for the VP-44 to die without throwing a code.

How long has it been since you changed your fuel filters?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not that i really know anything but ive had some similar problems before and like dr evil just stated also check your filter. That ended up being my problem. Got the truck and whoever had it before me never changed the fuel filter.... or had only changed it once. Mine was clogged/dirty/crystallized .... all that good stuff. could be an easy fix like that, could be vp.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
BOMBARDIER

Yeah, but with the filters he shouldnt have the hard start once warm. ?? Puzzling.

Quick Reply: 24 valve hard starts