24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Intermitten Fuel PSI Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intermitten Fuel PSI Loss

So I start up the truck let it idle for about 3mins get in fuel pressure is good, back up about 50 yards to turnaround in the driveway then drive down the gravle road for about 300 yards then stop to look before I pull out on the main drag and I look down and 3 psi on the fuel pressure. now if I shut off the truck and fire back up its good, sometimes for the whole day somtimes for 2 mins it varys. last week I drove 100 miles with no problems then on the highway it droped again.

Is this just the LP telling me its giving up the go or is something else going on? truck has 80k miles on it now, and usually have 15psi at idle and 9-10 WOT. Went through and check the insulator and all that.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

the internal spillback (bypass) has a weak spring and is causing this...............however there is a simple and dependable fix for this

remover inlet and outlet fuel lines from the pump

remove electrical quick connect from fuel pump

remove the three bolts holdint the fuel pump to the mounting bracket.

place fuel pump on railroad tracks

wait for train

Install new after market fuel pump and have fun

seriously this is a great chance to rid the biggest piece of junk of a fuel pump and salvage yer VP44

The following users liked this post:
Monster Truck (08-23-2007)
Old 08-23-2007, 08:46 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Whit's takin the long way around sayin it but he is right on target. This is typical for the LP going bad.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok thanks fellas I figured itd be the lp seeing that I have never had to do it before. What is the best way towards a new lp system? dont have alot of dough to spend.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:47 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Monster Truck
Ok thanks fellas I figured itd be the lp seeing that I have never had to do it before. What is the best way towards a new lp system? dont have alot of dough to spend.

You should have been here instead of at CF - we GAVE AWAY a full FASS system.

Glad we could answer your questions though.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

That's the million dollar question. You have the electrical pumps, FASS, Air Dog, Walbro, Carter, Holley and a thousand more just like em. They all have their good and bad points. In addition to the electric you also have the Mechanical pumps that are belt driven off the harmonic balancer such as the MITUSA and the Glacier System. They are a new additon to the market so not much info out there on them yet. This is my next route, I'm tired of replacing electrical pumps every few years.

You just have to read up on all of them and decide which ones suit your needs for fuel supply and price range. Good luck. Wish I could narrow the best choice down for you but it is a lot of personal needs and preferances involved in that answer.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
You should have been here instead of at CF - we GAVE AWAY a full FASS system.

Glad we could answer your questions though.
Im always at both I just never pay attention to the give aways and stuff like that becuase I never win. Thanks for the help fellas.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Good Luck with it....these trucks arent cheap to fix. But once you get them done up right they are pretty reliable.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

Replace a FASS every few years? Brad @DPP must love you. The warranty is 6 years - most lift pumps don't last 1 year let alone 6 months if abused. The FASS is different.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Vegistrokin Bombardier
Received 121 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp
Replace a FASS every few years? Brad @DPP must love you. The warranty is 6 years - most lift pumps don't last 1 year let alone 6 months if abused. The FASS is different.
Yep, get a FASS and be done with it. I have a FASS on my vegi fuel system and that thing could pump gravel up hill all day long.

Quick Reply: Intermitten Fuel PSI Loss