24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch

Question: Is it to hard to install a clutch guys I need to install a new clutch on this truck I just bought and a new flywheel since I can see from the bottom its got some teeth already damage and I think I am going to need a starter gear (were can i get the starter gear from?) . I have some experience fixing small stuff but I don't know if I can handle the clutch ,I have done the vp44 on my other truck and other small stuff like maintenance tranny and differential airdog install you know small stuff . I can follow instructions very well if somebody tells me how but maybe I need more than instructions ,Is not so much that I don't want to pay somebody to do it it's just that I want to learn how . Thanks !

Old 02-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have some sense and know a lil it isnt to bad, just at least get the truck off the ground and try to get a good tranny jack because them trannys hurts if they fall, basic tools and etc is all thats needed

The following users liked this post:
Fiveseven (02-11-2010)
Old 02-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not to bad at all...i just swapped mine out and put a SDD in it only to me about 6 hours with the help of my brother

Fiveseven (02-11-2010)
Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

not rly that hard just pay attn to how stuff comes apart

Fiveseven (02-11-2010)
Old 02-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Back when we put the Zoom ZVT in my truck, The Undercar Digest guys were there to snap some pics and take notes for an article. When the article was published, they sent me this .pdf.

That's me in pic 17 dawg!!! LOL!!

The Stage 2 ZVT that we installed has been a GREAT clutch. I highly recommend it.

Hopefully the pics and notes in the attached .pdf file will be helpful to you. Some good tips in there.

if you get stuck, let us know. it's not a terrible job.

Attached Files
Fiveseven (02-12-2010)
Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

What I got so far is this I started by disconnecting all the wires and the slave cylinder and noticed that it had a tear on the plastic so I think I have to replace that and went and got a transmission jack adapter for my 3 ton jack and all was going good and smooth until I pulled it of a little more the transmission leaned back towards the handle I was by my self so I got my brother to help me straight it up flat on the platform but know since the adapter adds height and I cant get the transmission out so I was thinking of just pulling as far back as I could and work on it there. I will keep you posted when I can work on it again because it snowed a little only like 9" and it pretty wet today so thats it. Does any body know what is the torque specs of the fly wheel and the clutch ?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Flywheel bolts get 101 ft/lbs.
Bolt, clutch cover-5/16 in. - 17ft/lbs
Bolt, clutch cover-3/8 in. - 30ft/lbs

If you can put the truck up on jackstands (front AND rear), it would be a lot easier once you get that tranny out of the way. You'll want the truck as level as possible when you stab it (insert the input shaft back through the clutch and into the pilot bearing. A tip is to use the front driveshaft flange to rotate the internals and twist the input shaft so that you can align the splines with the clutch plate.

Last edited by AndyMan; 02-12-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

question how do you unbolt the flywheel if it keeps spinning ?

Old 02-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

bust out ye 'ol impact wrench.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you dont have an impact another wrench tightening one bolt and the other loosening will work as well and then a tire tool will work to hold the flywheel so you can break the last one loose....the 'ol country boy way

Quick Reply: Clutch